cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to migrate PSTs

doctortt
Level 6

Experts,

From your experience, what are some good methods to migrate PSTs? For example, if I have like 200 users in the company, and each has one or more PSTs in the home drive, how do you gp about migrating the PSTs to EV?

11 REPLIES 11

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner

There's two or three real ways to do it as discussed in the Admin Guide. The "best" scenario depends on your restrictions or needs.

I would normally start with the Locate - Collect - Migrate (Server-Driven) migration, in which the ev service account or another account you choose logs on to each computer with enough access to hit remote registry and disks (admin access). Once you've got a list of computers and files, you can choose which ones to migrate. It really helps if you get all your PSTs out on a network share first...

The Client-Driven Migration relies on the enterprise vault client to find the files. The client then sends chunks of PST files across the network to the PST Temp folder. From there the chunk goes to the PST Holding folder and is migrated into the associated mailbox. You'd only want to enable a few clients for client-driven migration at a time.

Client-Driven Migration can be enabled by right clicking Personal Store Management and selecting from the list of provisioned users.

Of course there are a couple of other options -

As an administrator you can manually import PST files by collecting them locally and then using the Admin Console to import them. You might want to think about doing any PST files which are for terminated users, etc, before you do the rest of the users. This is because EV tends to base its determination of who gets the items in the PST on who had the PST mounted in their Outlook profile....

You can also educate users to mount their PSTs and choose to import items into their archive. The drawback here is that you can quickly get into a capacity situation with too many people asking for too much at once.

Note: Recently with EV 2007 SP4 I have been having some trouble with client-driven migration

Oves
Level 3

We implemented a client driven pst migration portal using evpm. User go to a web portal and select the pst to upload. This is split into chunks, uploaded to nas then re-assembled, then a scheduled task on the ev server imports the pst file into users vault and emails them of success/failure  and the good thing is that there is no intervention required by admins.

Ryan_the_Red
Level 5
Partner
That sounds like a pretty cool solution. Mind detailing it?

Oves
Level 3

sure.

users go to website which checks to ensure they are archive enabled by checking for ad attribute. they can then select pst file to upload which is broken down in 99k chunks and uploaded to nas, user can pause the upload at any time (if on slow connection for example) and view the status of this and any upload. This information is stored in sql db. once the part files are uploaded a tool runs which assembles these parts back into single pst file. each ev server can run 5 concurrent evpm tasks (windows scheduled tasks) which imports the pst file for users. as there are no error codes from evpm, this tool analyses the evpm output log file to find out if its worked or failed and will send success or failure email to user. we also check for some custom text, like for example if a user has uploaded empty pst file, so we check for 0 items imported which will cause a failure.

We also have an admin area on website so that support guys can stop/start these pst queues, check on status on pst for users and various other stats that we store in sql.

works well for us, and is light touch.....

doctortt
Level 6

Thanks for sharing the info. Although client driven method sounds cool, I have to go with the other one. We have a lot of traders, and there is no way they will spend time to do these upload and check status since they have to do trades to make $ for the company.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

We do Journaling and not mailbox archiving so what we did was we turned on journaling for the mail stores

Then we got the sites to send us tapes of the file server backups. From these tapes we restored all .pst files and loaded the contents into the journal mailbox with the journal task disabled.

We then wrote our own program that went into the Journal mailbox and de-duplicated the contents.

Lastly we activated the journaling task which then archived all items in the journal mailbox.

We also did a scan of pc's to find any .pst files that were created locally on the machines and copied them to a server and performed the same process on them

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Doctortt

one other item to note........

Since your company is involved in stocks and trading i highly recommend journaling because that way you are sure to capture all email sent or received.

This is what is needed to cover not only for SOX but also SEC requirements

Also maybe CA would be useful since you need to monitor for insider trading and stuff like that. CA will allow you to watch for certain items which your complience people can use

doctortt
Level 6
Thanks Liam. Yes, we already have journaling enabled using a different product. We will move the journaling function to EV since we're not very satisifed with our existing one. I like the dedupe process that you have. I'm wondering if you could share some info (websites, books and etc) in programming something for deduping emails.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

http://www.mapilab.com/

Mapi Lab has a product that does that. 

jpriddy
Level 4

Client driven didn't work very well for us.  We have a few hundred mail users, all had one or more pst files on their computer, and some of them were very large, from 4GB up to 25GB+ in total size for a single user.  We ran into a lot of migrations that got hung and couldn't really come to a resolution so we opted for copying them to a central location and using the PST Migrator just to make sure they were imported in correctly. 

If I had it to do over again I'd do the server driven migration with the manual PST Migrator for the biggest files.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just for completeness, you may want to read the PST Migration Whitepaper:

http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/stn/articles/article_detail.jsp?articleid=migrating_pst_files_int...

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.