cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIFS share for EV9

Ameen
Level 6

Hi All,

I am going to have NetApp storage for my new EV servers as company wants go for NetApp. I have 2 choices from the Storage team now that i can have normal LUN as now i have or i can have CIFS share.

I dont have much experience with CIFS share so may i request your comment on going for CIFS? I hope somebody from this forum should be having experience!

Regards,

Ameen.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I personally would suggest cifs, from a pure functionality perspective. Failover is a brease as you don't need to mount the luns ect.

Using lun's with Building Blocks is not as simple as with a unc.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

I personally would suggest cifs, from a pure functionality perspective. Failover is a brease as you don't need to mount the luns ect.

Using lun's with Building Blocks is not as simple as with a unc.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

we had a hybrid of LUNs on FC disks and CIFS share from an aggregate of SATA disks and it worked like a charm.

Jason_G
Level 4
Certified

we use CIFS shares for our vault stores partitions on NetApp with VCS & Building Blocks for failover - we use LUNs on NetApp for SQL as well, been working fine for years - we did have an issue where indexes were being marked as corrupt but that was the slow disks being used for that aggregate, once moved to a set of faster disks, no problems at all..

Ameen
Level 6

Thanks a lot for sharing your exp.

I hope now I can agree on CIFS share.

Regards,

Ameen.

Ameen
Level 6

Hi All,

I still have confurion here, I am using LUN in the olde servers and how should I run the migration if I go for CIFS share. As far i know nobody discussed this scinario ealier.

I invite your thoughts and thanks in advance!

Regards,

Ameen.

AndrewB

you'll want to leverage your storage team to help you with that task

Ameen
Level 6

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for that! See now I have LUNs in the server that means drives and if I migrate to share then my data will be only there is share. My question is how i can migrate data from LUNs to share? Should I go for component level migration or can I replace the server?

Ameen.

AndrewB

i'm not following what you're saying, ameen. you have data on a NetApp. whether you present the data as attached LUNs to your server or via CIFS, it's still on the filer. right? that being the case, then MAYBE your storage team can work their magic on the backend so you dont have to go through all the trouble of copying the data via windows.

MichelZ
Level 6

Ameen

You have to use e.g. Robocopy on your server to copy the data to the CIFS share.

Data is stored in a different format on the NetApp when you store it on a LAN or when you store it as CIFS share.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

AndrewB

if that's the case i'd recommend richcopy