cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Move from v12.x to 14.3 - Is it compatible?

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

I´m trying to move archives from a former EVv12.x environment to a new (productive) one with v14.3. Both directories share the same VSA and AD Domain. 

When processing any test archive the following line is logged: "Entered a sleep state for 30 minutes. Reason: Storage service is not running on the destination server".

Based on experience, Can this be an unsupported versions issue, or Am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Prone2Typos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This is unlikely to be a compatibility issue between versions IMHO. It is much more likely to be an issue with name resolution, and aliases that are associated with EV server the storage service is running on. If KBs like above do not help, a DTrace should show what address is being called and what it is failing on. Typically a review of what you have and what is expected will surface the root cause.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

kiyan
Level 4

hi @Jose_Luis_Per1 

I have found below article which could be useful for your

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100023844

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Kiyan,

I tried that (there was no uselocaldirectory setting). I did run a dtrace against the directory service but everything seemed to be OK.

I wonder if versions must be the same or if I´m pointing to the wrong EV server when setting the move job.

JL

Prone2Typos

This is unlikely to be a compatibility issue between versions IMHO. It is much more likely to be an issue with name resolution, and aliases that are associated with EV server the storage service is running on. If KBs like above do not help, a DTrace should show what address is being called and what it is failing on. Typically a review of what you have and what is expected will surface the root cause.

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks!

So… Should I dtrace against the directory service?

JL

Prone2Typos

Your question is a little ambiguous due to the info provided and I am a little rusty. I would start with a DTrace of whatever service was throwing the event on the box it is being thrown on. I would review source and target systems.

I would throw in the storage DTrace things (Storage SErvice, Online OPNS.....) because it mentioned the storage stuff struggling.

I would probably take a whack and get support on the phone after my best effort to produce evidence. I would also find the event in the logs, and work my way up the log to see if I could find what happened.

I would also suggest you consider the scope, scale, additional tasks surrounding this migration, and timeline of this initiative. This tooling was not designed for mass migrations and if your scope has any weight to it you should really consider a third party migration solution (shameless plug...) like Quadrotech's Archive Shuttle by Quest.

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

OK, thank you,

I´ll figure out then. I really appreciate it.

I will select your answer as solution and update this as soon as I get to the point. Yes... I agree it must be some kind of name resolution problem, it makes sense because someone recently deleted all names in the DNS and I had to recreate them, so... I'll do my research.

Thanks again!

Jose_Luis_Per1
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I just wanted to update this. What was going on is that the server in the old EV site / directory had DCOM security level set to a lower level than in the target server in the new EV site, so I just set the DCOM security level in the old server to "packet integrity" and after that, it was able to enable the required app in the new EV site.

This may be useful for someone, sometime.

Thanks