cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I copy partitions AND perform backup at same time?

Rem_y
Level 4

Afternoon all

I need to move my Vault Store Partitions to new storage, and am using the following TechNote to achieve my goals

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35742

I intend to use XCopy to copy the data

My question is, do I have to wait for the backups to complete (step 1) before I copy the data across (step 2), or should I wait for the data to be backed up and then copy the data across?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Personally I would set backup mode, then start the backups and start the xcopy at the same time as the backups.

If you do the backups first, then set backup mode, data may have changed 'underneath'.

Shouldn't be any problem with doing a copy, and backing up at the same time.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Personally I would set backup mode, then start the backups and start the xcopy at the same time as the backups.

If you do the backups first, then set backup mode, data may have changed 'underneath'.

Shouldn't be any problem with doing a copy, and backing up at the same time.

Arjun_Shelke
Level 6
Employee Accredited

what if one of the applications (backup or xcopy) locks the file. Other application will error out

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

@Advisor, that's a good point, but, both operations should be forming a read-only copy operation on the file, right?

I can't test backing up + copying, but I just tested copying + copying.

I have a 1 Gb file that i started to copy with Windows Explorer, and then started to copy the file (to a different location) using a Command Prompt.. both worked. No errors, and the copies weren't serialised, they happened in parallel.

Have you tried similar or with a backup program?

ia01
Level 6
Partner Accredited

We have done this recently where we needed to move a vault store partition into separate location and NetBackup backup was running. We copied the partition into new location fine. After changing the partition location using SQL script you may not be able to delete old partition as files may be in use by Backup Software, so you will have to wait till backup completes.