cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't change target of Public Folders after migrating from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007.

Stormonts
Level 5

We had an Exchange 2003 server that was running fine with Enterprise Vault 7.5 SP3.  We then put up an Exchange 2007 server and moved mailboxes to it which worked fine in terms of Enterprise Vault.  We just replicated and moved the public folders to the new 2007 server.  When I try to add the public folders as a target in the VAC, I get this error:  "Unable to validate the public folder root path.  Check that your Microsoft Exchange Server is running."

I looked at this article:  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290429.htm

But we do not have either the PR_IS_NEWSGROUP or PR_IS_NEWSGROUP_ANCHOR properties on any of our folders.  

Running: Get-PublicFolder -Identity "\" -Recurse on the Exchange 2007 server returns this, so I know that the public folders are fine:

Name                                    Parent Path
----                                    -----------
IPM_SUBTREE
BSI                                       \
BSI Administration                    \BSI
BSI Calendar                            \BSI\BSI Administration 

But when I try to add \BSI as a target, I get that error.  Same thing with all of our other root level folders.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stormonts
Level 5

What I had to do was manually auto-enable each main level folder below the root and join it to the existing archive.  Then I had to delete that folder, run the Public Folder task, and then the folder was correctly auto-enabled.

So in my example, I had to create an auto-enabled folder for  \BSI, then create an auto-enabled folder for BSI Administration, then delete the reference to the BSI Administration folder, run the Public Folder Task, and then the folder would be correctly auto-enabled.

I forgot to mention that I did open a case with SYmantec regarding this.  I went through 3 engineers and none of them could figure out what was going on.  I just gave up and went with the solution that I figured out myself.  Not sure if that is the correct way or not.
Message Edited by Stormonts on 12-04-2008 05:19 AM

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Stormonts
Level 5

Update on this:

I figured out that part of the problem was that I hadn't logged in as the vault administrator account when i tried to add the new targets.  Then I realized that I had to remove the targets from the old server first and then add them to the new server.

Problem I am having now is that I added the main level folders as "Auto-Enabler" and then pointed the top level folder to the existing top level archive (so in the example that I posted, I created a new target to the \BSI folder and pointed it to the existing BSI archive).  The problem is that the Auto Enabler isn't creating targets for the sub folders.  Do I have to manually create them for each sub-folder and point them to the existing archive?  Or should they auto enable and match to the existing archives?

Stormonts
Level 5

Does anyone know if this is the expected behavior when moving from one Exchange server to another?

On the first server, creating "Auto-Enabler" targets to the root level public folders automatically created "Standard" targets for the sub-folders.

On the new server, creating "Auto-Enabler" targets to the root level public folders isn't automatically creating any targets to sub-folders.

Powl
Level 2

I have the exact same problem.... after moving only a few folders were auto-enabled...

Powl
Level 2
If anyone has the solution to this problem please let me know.

Stormonts
Level 5

What I had to do was manually auto-enable each main level folder below the root and join it to the existing archive.  Then I had to delete that folder, run the Public Folder task, and then the folder was correctly auto-enabled.

So in my example, I had to create an auto-enabled folder for  \BSI, then create an auto-enabled folder for BSI Administration, then delete the reference to the BSI Administration folder, run the Public Folder Task, and then the folder would be correctly auto-enabled.

I forgot to mention that I did open a case with SYmantec regarding this.  I went through 3 engineers and none of them could figure out what was going on.  I just gave up and went with the solution that I figured out myself.  Not sure if that is the correct way or not.
Message Edited by Stormonts on 12-04-2008 05:19 AM

Powl
Level 2
I actually stumbled upon that yesterday but didn't grasp the concept that made a few of mine show back up... you are a God sent... thank you... worked great!