cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't copy an archived file

Sortid
Level 6
Using Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 and EV 2007 SP2.

I've a couple of issues regarding recalling of files using File System Archiving.  We have this enabled on quite a few servers.  I've noticed that I cannot recall any files while on the server itself.  It tries to use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer as the default program.  It starts the program but does not display a picture, and says "No preview available".  Interestingly, if I right-click and choose Open With and select Windows Picture and Fax Viewer it works ok.  I've reset the default program to this but it did not fix it. 

Secondly, If I try to copy a file from a server to another location while on the server, e.g. its own c: or a remote location it says "Error copying file or folder: cannot copy <file>: The remote storage  service was not able to recall the file."  I can however map a drive to the server and recall the file from another server or workstation.

No errors are logged in the server or archive server event logs.

Anyone else seeing this?

Cam.
5 REPLIES 5

Buitenhuis
Level 2

Hello, We also have the copy problems. When files are archived we sometimes try to copy the folder to another disk. Then we receive an error message that access is denied. When you click on all the files you want to copy ( so it is unarchived) then you can copy all the files without any problems. We are running

Veritas Enterprise Vault 6.0 on a windows 2003 server with service pack 2

Jason_Szeto
Level 6

Are the EV servers listed in the Local Intranet Zone under the IE security tab on the file server? The placeholders are basically make an HTTP call to the EV server, if the file server doesn't have the EV server in the local intranet zone, it prompts for authentication and kills the recall.

Log onto the file server as the VSA, (Vault Service Account) and make sure the EV servers are in the local intranet zone and see if that fixes it.

ReeceX
Level 3
Employee

Depending you both may want to verify the following as well:

<http://support.veritas.com/docs/283467>

If the local intranet zone doesn't help - be sure to log on with the account the placeholder service is using on the windows file server when making modifications to the local intranet zone settings as these settings are per user. Additionally please note the TN above applies only to files residing on windows file systems, for NetApp filers, there is a tab in the file server properties which allows access to the same functionality.

Barring that, I would enable a dtrace of the placeholder service then duplicate the issue, there should be more information in the dtrace regarding what is going on exactly.

MarkB_2
Level 4

Hmm..Ok, just like Mailbox shortcuts, it's not a good idea to just move placeholders around like other files in windows. Placeholders hold information within them that show which archivepoint they belong to etc, along with other info.

If you need to move placeholders, you should us the FSA Utility, or restore - move - re-archive.

If you move a placeholder/shortcut you will run into problems, including things like searches etc.

It's a big no-no. 

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Mark If it's really such a big no-no, then I have an RFE for EV: Deny moves and copies ;)

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.