Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot install EV Client on a desktop

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

I normally wouldn’t post such a relatively mundane question on these  forums but this is effecting one of the directors of one of my customers.

Anyway the customer is on EV 9.0 sp 2  ,and we cannot get the HTTP  EV Client to install properly on his desktop . The client installs “ properly “ as in no errors but then

• It is not in Add\Remove Programs
  • It is not in the Registry
  • It is not in Program Files

I have confirmed that UAC is disabled and that the same GP are being applied on other desktops where the EV Client is working 100 %.

I thought this issue was due to some GP policy but I seem to have ruled that out.

Anyway has anyone seen this before where the EV Client “ installs “ correctly but it fact it isn’t actually installed.

The OS is Windows 7 64 bit.

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

Just an update on this ,Support assisted and we resolved the problem

It was caused due to the EV Client at sometime being removed from the desktop but there were still references in the Registry. By  using the msiexec install log we were  able to search the registry and remove all references to the EV Client. Once this was done a clean install of the EV Client worked nicely :)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Can you try using the setup.exe with the 9 sp3 client and see if that works?
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I  can try that and see the results  ,I tried the EV 10 Client and that had the same result where it "installed " but there were no binaries or registry settings on the desktop

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

I think your best bet is to try the installation using the command line options to generate an MSI log file.

Try the first option in this blog post :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/enterprise-vault-outlook-client-installer-logging

Working for cloudficient.com

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Rob

That is exactly what I was looking for ,someway to gather more information :)

You rock !!!

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Rob Here is the MSIEXEC log file ,I'm not sure if you or anyone else can see whats causing the error ?

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Bruce - looking at the log, I see that it looks like either the msi was renamed or repackaged as 'symantec.msi'.  If repackaged, have you tried installing the original MSI?

Also, while the install appears to complete 'successfully', there is an error:

"DEBUG: Error 2826:  Control BottomLine on dialog PrepareDlg extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 67 pixels

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826"

But it appears that normally this error would normally be ignored by msiexec, which it seems to be doing (If it wasn't, the msi install would have failed with a 'Return Vault 3'.)

Perhaps running process monitor, from microsoft, during the install can shed further light on this.

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Chris

Yes we renamed the package ,you get the same issue with the normal name on this one desktop .

Thanks for the assessment ,I'll look into process monitor

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

That particular error is a red herring.  It appears all the time in MSI log files.  So it's not that.

Is this an upgrade to an existing client?

The only thing that I can see that might be related is 

MSI (c) (2C:14) [11:24:49:647]: Doing action: FindRelatedProducts

Action 11:24:49: FindRelatedProducts. Searching for related applications

Action start 11:24:49: FindRelatedProducts.

FindRelatedProducts: Found application: {AB7490FA-CF41-45B5-A972-79D4B220862F}

which later leads to :

MSI (c) (2C:14) [11:24:49:708]: MigrateFeatureStates: based on existing product, setting feature 'Desktop' to 'Absent' state.

(Desktop is the generic name of the Outlook Addin)

Working for cloudficient.com

Bruce_Cranksh1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All

Just an update on this ,Support assisted and we resolved the problem

It was caused due to the EV Client at sometime being removed from the desktop but there were still references in the Registry. By  using the msiexec install log we were  able to search the registry and remove all references to the EV Client. Once this was done a clean install of the EV Client worked nicely :)