Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the way EV deletes from a Centera with Replication

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner

Hi All
A question
I understand that when EV has to delete from a Centera in a replication scenario it first looks at the Replica Centera and then removes the Clip from it before removing it from the Primary
Is there a way to change this behavior ? I want to speed-up  by deletion so does this process work through the API ..meaning even if I haven't added in the EV VAC Saved Replica IP Addresses EV will always look at the Replica to delete ..or can I have EV deleting first from the Primary and then only removing the Clip from the Replica through normal Centera replication

Thx :)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I'm unsure if this is possible. EV knows from the API that the primary is setup with a replica even if that replica is off it is aware it exists.

The only way I can think of is disable replication

But beware if you disable replication next time you turn it on it will act like it never replicated anything. If replication is disabled you will need EMC's assistance because once replication is turned on again it will only replicate new saved data to the destination. Then you will need EMC to do a comparison between the two devices and then delete from the destination for you.

This is not pretty and you will need to create a project with EMC to get this done as it will take time. 

I don't think there is any pretty and free way to do this. It will cost money to have EMC perform the work for you. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I'm unsure if this is possible. EV knows from the API that the primary is setup with a replica even if that replica is off it is aware it exists.

The only way I can think of is disable replication

But beware if you disable replication next time you turn it on it will act like it never replicated anything. If replication is disabled you will need EMC's assistance because once replication is turned on again it will only replicate new saved data to the destination. Then you will need EMC to do a comparison between the two devices and then delete from the destination for you.

This is not pretty and you will need to create a project with EMC to get this done as it will take time. 

I don't think there is any pretty and free way to do this. It will cost money to have EMC perform the work for you. 

Bruce_Crankshaw
Level 6
Partner
@ Scanner
Yes that confirms what I thought ,we keep it as is
Thanks for the input
Post solved