cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checkpoint archiving in FSA question

Vikes_2
Level 6

Hello,

So we just upgraded our dev environment top 8.0sp5 in preperation for our prod upgrade and our checkpoint xml files are always starting at the begining and not picking up where the last run left off. I contacted support about this and this is what I was told, "The reason why the checkpoint file always start the same is because always scans from the begging of the archive point, until it finds the last archived file (this is one of the sections in the XML file). "  That seems completely wrong from what my understanding of checkpoint archiving is, the discription that suppport stated is the way it worked before checkpoint archiving right?. Isn't it supposed to pick up where it left off without having to rescan everything? what am I missing here?

Thanks!

Travis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Ah may be the tech support was right, it will "scan" that volume until it reaches that check point and then "archives" from that check point onwards:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124783

I got confused between scanning and archiving.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Indeed, the point of FSA check point so that if the archiving is interupted then it will kick off where it left off and doesn't have to scan from the beginning again. Make sure the xml file is not corrupted and vault service account has full permissions to the file and location of the xml file.

Vikes_2
Level 6

The permissions are good and the xml file have been run multiple times and always starts in the same place. The main thing that I wanted to confrim was that what I was told by support was incorrect, it should not rescan each time but pick up where it left off. I guess I may have to call support back and get another person to look at it.

Thanks,

Travis

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Ah may be the tech support was right, it will "scan" that volume until it reaches that check point and then "archives" from that check point onwards:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124783

I got confused between scanning and archiving.

Hope that helps.

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

more info on check point not work for EV9 which may explains things:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH163368

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You might want to gather a dtrace of the FSAArchivingtask in report mode and sending it over to support to have a look at.

Vikes_2
Level 6

Thanks for the input guys, so I ran the task again this morning and just looked at the xml and now it seems to be working. The question that I have is why? Dose it have to run some sort of initial scan of the intire volume before it updates? hmmm the good news is that it works but nothing changed...

Thanks,

Travis

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

maybe it needed to true everything up after the upgrade? i dont know for sure, just speculating.

Vikes_2
Level 6

That is what confused me also, funny that a couple days later it just works..

Thanks for everyones posts on this, I appreciate it.

Travis