cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-driven PST migration incorrectly targeted

Vesa_Takkinen
Level 3
Hi!

We enabled some more users for archiving and client driven PST migrations as well. A serious problem: A PST file has been imported into wrong user's archive (and the shortcuts have been created into wrong mailbox as well).

I haven't gotten a proper explanation what has happened - the standard answer: I haven't done anything, how my e-mails are in her mailbox?

The situation: User1 has been enabled for archiving and client-driven pst migration and user2 is not. User2's pst file has been migrated into User1's archive. The PST resided in User2's home directory, where User1 has no rights.

How does Client-driven migration choose where it migrates PSTs? How is this possible? This is not quite good in terms of security and privacy...

Vault is 6.0 SP1. The PST marking has been enabled in policy, don't know whether it really matters with client-driven migration.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Is the PST gone (ie, did you automagically delete it)? If not, we can do the import again manually (using the wizard) and see where the PST thinks it's owner is. You wouldn't actually do the import, but it'd be good to see where/what it's marked as. Gets you that first step on the troubleshooting process.

micah

Vesa_Takkinen
Level 3
The PST is still there, i.e. the policy is just to remove them from Outlook profiles, not to delete files.

I tested what PST Migration Wizard would tell: Nothing.

I select: Automatically assign archives to PSTs: Give priority to information in marked PSTs and Use permissions from: the PST files. The result: The wizard cannot suggest absolutely anything to destination archive or associated mailbox, they are empty.

The vault client log says about the PST I am testing: "07/04/2006 06:26:22.462: Successfully marked PST: Test PST"

I am extremely confused: What is the logic how server decides to which archive it migrates the messages in?

Henrik_Huhtinen
Level 2
I have noticed the same problem, it seems to be related to cases when the user with PSTs has opened several mailboxes in Outlook. Perhaps the EV client oncorrectly marks the PST with the first mailbox that is open in Outlook, not the "main" mailbox.

I have no solution for this though.