cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client-driven PST migration steps

Tingeli_Paramaa
Level 3
Is there a way to pause etc. client-driven PST task? Sorry for unclear description, but what I want to do is that task would proceed in steps, so you would be able to manually confirm PST matching to archives.

Why I want this, is that with 6 sp1 there was a bug which caused incorrect matching of PST files - the PSTs were migrated into incorrect archive, not good. This is supposed to have been fixed in SP3.

The problem is, according to Symantec support, that if two or more persons share a computer (even temporarily), this incorrect matching would be expected in Client-driven migration. I would like to overcome this problem by manually confirming (say, once a week) migrations before they actually proceed.

Or does this have to be done with some other method? I hope not - there would be permissions problems and firewall reconfigurations at least.
2 REPLIES 2

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Ting, the client driven migration will automatically move the PST's up to the server, however you'll still have to run the Migrator task to actually consume that mail into the archive. That's the point at which you would want to sanity-check the PST's.

So simply set your migrator task to run manually, or once a week.

Lee Allison
http://enterprisevault.typepad.com/the_ev_blog/

Tingeli_Paramaa
Level 3
Lee, the answer doesn't seem to be that simple. For PST files to get transferred to server (or even show up in console list) for migration, the PST migrator task has to be running (Please correct if I'm wrong, but that's what I just observed in lab). That is running, not processing. As you say, processing can set to happen once a week, or, even better, manually.

The problem is, that on the admin console, when files have been transferred to server, you can do absolutely nothing for file in the list on console. All options are grayed out. When you right click the file, and choose delete, you just get an error message, that states it can't be deleted.

As far as I understand, at this point the only option would be to trace the actual file name on PST holding or temporary area and delete that file - I'm not sure what happens then, or can it even be done. I am quite convinced that first level admins can not be tasked to do that.

I don't know if I'm missing something completely, but these observations I've done in my test lab. I am looking for same kind of possibilities you have with server driven migration, where you have the possibility to prevent migration before manually confirmed.

As a reminder, I am looking for way to confirm migrations manually, because Symantec support has confirmed there is a possibility to migrate PSTs to wrong archives with even temporarily shared computers (We cannot guarantee that nobody would log on to colleague's workstation even once).