cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing Partitions

Tony_Uren
Level 4
Morning all !!

About to suggest to management we close our partition. There are so many benefits they would be absolutely mad not to. I have not heard of anyone having any negative issues with closing a partition but knowing what sticklers they are for procedures, change control in this case (I work in a state government department), they will want a rollback procedure. I have not found anything in doco or on this forum re 're-opening' a closed partiton so was wondering if anyone has any ideas ? Is it just a matter of ensuring a complete full backup beforehand and then restoring if need be ? What if the partition is closed for a couple of weeks and then they decide, for whatever reason, we need to revert back to how it was - what would the procedure be then ? We have journaling enabled (it is on a seperate disk/partition).

So I guess I am asking, if I need to revert back to my original open partiton after closing it, how do I go about it and add in the new data from when I closed it ?

EV6.0 SP3 Exchange 2K3

Thanks in advance :)
3 REPLIES 3

Alan_M
Level 6
You can open and close partitions at will with of course only one partition being open at a time. However, if you roll back to the formerly open partition what about the data in the newly closed partition? The position your bosses are holding doesn't make any sense:-)

I'd suggest you close the partition. Even though single instance storage is at the partition level the way EV implements SIS is limited and any negative impact would be small. The benefits from a reduced backupwindow etc are significant.

Tony_Uren
Level 4
> You can open and close partitions at will with of
> course only one partition being open at a time.

I did not realise this - thanks

> However, if you roll back to the formerly open
> partition what about the data in the newly closed
> partition?

I guess this is my question

>The position your bosses are holding
> doesn't make any sense:-)

I am sure there will be no issue with closing the partition - just that they will want a rollback procedure in case something goes amiss as I close or after I close - really just procedural red tape.

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
If you close the open partition, then open a new partition, and then close it in order to reopen the new partition (hence a "rollback"), then EV will just happily keep depositing dvs files as if nothing happened. that's why the virtual container of the vault is so kewl, the sql db tells EV where the files are on physical storage so that EV doesn't have to worry about that. The data in the 2nd partition just stays where it is, and would be happy to do so. The data can be moved if you wish later on (and there's plenty o support articles on how to do that).

micah