cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing and opening an INDEX in a new Location

Sam_Elbeck
Level 4
Hi,

I read the posting about closing indexes in Version 6.0 that did not have an answer. I have a very similar situation but in V 5 SP 5 that I would like to discuss.

Here is the situation

Journaling only environment
Current indexes around 400 gig (yeah on a hold freeze)
Running out of space in current SANs and all new items need to be written to a new SANS

The closing and opening of a new partition went well with no issues but now came the indexes. What I would like to do is keep the current indexes in the location they are in and have all new indexes go to the new location on the new SANS. So I worked with a Symantec EV architect who said it was possible. What we did was go into the index service in the admin console and just close the old location and open a new location.

Well I had my doubts about that but was assured it would work and it did not because even though the index was closed all new items are still being written to it.

I found where I can repoint it in SQL but I am afraid if I just do a re-point then users may not be able to search the old items. So the question is

How can I have the indexes write to my new location on my new SANS and at the same time keep the old indexes in the old location on the old SANS and allow the users to search everything?

Support mentioned I may have to copy all 400 gig to the new partition on my new SANS and grow it that way but that does not sit well with me because it does not make sense. What if this hold lasts for 10 years is the index drive to grow to 2 TB? How will we back it up especially when we use TSM.

Support is still researching and I am doing some testing with the repointing but I thought in the mean time someone may have already figured this out

Thanks,

Sam
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you repoint the index location in sql I think it will recreate the entire index in that location. Simply closing a location will not stop data from going into it. However, when a new vault is created it should. If these are journaling archives, are the roll overs going into the new location? If not, that may be an issue. However, creating a new archive and pointing it to the new location should create the index in that new location.

Regards,

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
If you repoint the index location in sql I think it will recreate the entire index in that location. Simply closing a location will not stop data from going into it. However, when a new vault is created it should. If these are journaling archives, are the roll overs going into the new location? If not, that may be an issue. However, creating a new archive and pointing it to the new location should create the index in that new location.

Regards,

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

You say
""What I would like to do is keep the current indexes in the location they are in and have all new indexes go to the new location on the new SAN"

but then say new items are still going to the old location.
So has a new index been created. As the previous poster said, EV continues to write to closed locations. A closed location simply means new archives(and therefore indexes) will no longer be created in it. It is NOT the same as no longer writing to an existing index location.

Sam_Elbeck
Level 4
A WS

Yes the roll overs are also writing to the old location.

Dodo,

A new index location has been created and the old one closed. I understand that when a index location closes it does not render it to read only so items still write to it. I also understand that in the current design only new archives will be created in the new index location i have on the new SANS.... However I do not have archives I have journals that are rolling over.

So since I have created the new index location on the new SANS the journaling vaults have rolled over but they did not go to the new index location they continued to go to the old index location.

I need a way to have the indexes from this point forward go to the new location.

I think the SQL re-point method may work as I tested it in my lab but I am waiting on an official answer before plugging it into Production.

Sam

TonySterling
Hmmm...Interesting!

Can you tell us what you are changing in SQL? If you create a brand new archive does it create the index folder in the new location?