cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections Question

LBrignol
Level 4
Partner Certified
I have EV 6 SP5 running in an environment and just implemented Collections on all the Closed partitions.  Is there a reason why not all files and folders are not Cabbed?  I see some are and some are not.  I am not sure what the theory is behind collections and why it would cab some files and folders but not all.  Can anyone help me understand this?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Collections do run against closed partitions
Only if collections runs does ev tidy up the .archdvs files
All items won't get collected in a closed parititon because by default, EV has a minimum number of items that it will put into a collection. ie do you really want a collection with 2 items in it for the sake of it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
It is recommended to not run Collections on "Closed Partitions" because when a user makes a request to view an archived item and this item is into a CAB file then Enterprise Vault extracts the DVS file out of the CAB as an ARCHDVS file extension, which will take up some space on the partition. These archdvs files are automatically removed from the partition by the collection process which is configured to run on the partition. Without the collection process running on the closed partition there is no mechanism to remove the archdvs files therefore the closed partition will grow in size.

LBrignol
Level 4
Partner Certified
Well unfortunately we already had implemented collections on all closed partitions.  Which brings to be ask yet another question. 

If there is a reason why to not do this, then why would we use collections at all?   I would think that eventually we would be closing partitions and opening new ones as time goes on.  So would this not be in issue for a partition that is open today and closed tomorrow where collections was run on that partition?  Is the process to stop collections before a partition is closed?  If so, where is this documented?  Sorry, I have not seen anything on this in the book or online.  Smiley Sad

I am not sure I understand why this would not be the case for any partition.    Thoughts?

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Just ensure that you have sufficient drive space so that when user's try to retrieve items from a closed collected partition, that these archdvs files do not fill up the drive.

Maynard_K
Level 6
Employee
Because a partition has been closed, the StorageFileWatch process, which is solely responsible for all collections actions will not process a partition that has been closed.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Collections do run against closed partitions
Only if collections runs does ev tidy up the .archdvs files
All items won't get collected in a closed parititon because by default, EV has a minimum number of items that it will put into a collection. ie do you really want a collection with 2 items in it for the sake of it.