cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collections on Mailbox Vault Store Partition question.

philt
Level 5

Hi All,

Hi All,

Currently we don't use collections on our Mailbox Vault Store Partitions but do on the Journal Vault stores. Backups are taking too long so we are now thinking of enabling Collections on Mailbox Vault Store Partitions.

Was wondering if other sites have collections enabled on Mailbox Vault Stores and if so is there any noticable performance hit when users access their Archives.

Thanks in advanced.

Cheers,

Phil 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

I highly vote against it ;)

If you have backup issues, the better scenario would be:

- Close the active VS Partition

- Create a new one

- Do this every X GB

Then just backup the active VS Databases regularly, and the other ones once a week or even once a month.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

I highly vote against it ;)

If you have backup issues, the better scenario would be:

- Close the active VS Partition

- Create a new one

- Do this every X GB

Then just backup the active VS Databases regularly, and the other ones once a week or even once a month.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

philt
Level 5

Thanks for your reply Michel,

I think I know why you vote against it but I'd appreciate your reasons if that's OK.

My issue at the moment;

Mailbox Vault Store currently about 40 GB, taking about 4 hours to backup due to the number of small files. We are about to do our PST migration which will add about another 300 GB. I understand about closing\opening partitions as we do this with our Journal Vault Store partitions. As nothing is ever deleted from the Journal I'm Ok with what would happen if we ever needed to restores these but am unsure on what would happen if we needed to restore old closed Mailbox Vault Store partitions as users do delete from their archives. I'm thinking the deleted items would suddenly appear in the users Archives.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers,

Phil

MarkB_2
Level 4

Phil,

We normally advise people to use collections, which obviously helps with backups. But I know there can be problems with CAB corruption but again I suppose you need to balance this with your requirement.

When a user deletes an item, and this is allowed etc, the process should delete the item from the vault AND the index and also the shortcut. So, say you restore a closed partition, then you shouldn't see the old item re-appear, as the SQL and Index sides would have removed the references to these items. Don't forget that whenever you search, we look against the user's index. This should be showing the present status and will not show historicly deleted items.

Hope this helps.

Mark

philt
Level 5

Thanks Mark, yes this does help but it leads me to a few more questions.

If a closed partition was restored is there a way to delete the items that were orginally deleted?

What would happen if an index was rebuilt, would it create an index for the orginally deleted items?

How do you know if you have a corrupted CAB file?, are these easy to rebuild?

Thanks again and thanks in advanced.

Cheers,

Phil

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Phil,

I would recommend backing up the closed partition weekly or monthly so you always have an up to date copy. 

If an index is rebuilt it would NOT add dvs files that were on the partition because there would not be a reference to them in SQL.

Regards,

MarkB_2
Level 4

If a closed partition was restored is there a way to delete the items that were orginally deleted?

You would need to run VSVerify to remove the "orphaned" DVS files

What would happen if an index was rebuilt, would it create an index for the orginally deleted items?

No - as Tony said, we use SQL as the reference of current savesets to rebuild indexes

How do you know if you have a corrupted CAB file?, are these easy to rebuild?

VSVerify can be used for this, but at the moment you would not know a CAB was corrupt until you saw errors. No realy way to rebuild, would rely on a working backup and restore. I think the next version of EV is going to have a lot more integrity checking performed.