cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compression and Mail messages size?

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I am using Enterprise vault 6 sp3 everything is working fine but i don't need the end users feel that i'm archiving their mails, so i used the "Use message body" option under the mail box policy... the archived mails are the same size like the original one? why doesn't EV compress the message?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you use full message body, unless the item has an attachment you will not see much difference in message size and attachments are the only space saving you will see.

As mentioned above, there is a setting that will only archive messages w/ attachments that will do that.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
When you use the full message body the only space saving in Exchange is the attatchment. EV does compress the message that it stores as a .dvs file, but that is in the storage and not the Exchange.

Cheers,

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

*maybe* it would help if you set the policy to only archive items with attachments. That way users less impacted but you will archive where the space savings are the greatest.

Walid_Samy
Level 4
Partner Accredited
So you mean that the end user will not find any difference in the message size, However, as you know that the shortcuts are created on the Exchange server, so the use of "retain the message body" option will not reduce or add a value to the exchange server storage and therefore no reason to use the EV at all. Please Advice.

TonySterling
If you use full message body, unless the item has an attachment you will not see much difference in message size and attachments are the only space saving you will see.

As mentioned above, there is a setting that will only archive messages w/ attachments that will do that.