cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating the DLP Oracle database for DCS with EV - separate db required?

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if using an existing Oracle database for DLP/DCS with EV is OK?  The Installation guide clearly says "create a new database called Protect using the template provided". 

I have stated this to the client, however the client says all their other apps that use oracle are OK using the same db, each with its own schema.  Why does DLP need a separate database?

Can Symantec provide just the schema so they use a shared database instead of a dedicated db just for this app?

Has anyone done that type of install.  Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Your customer has all of their db apps using the sam database?  That seems counter productive to me in terms of being able to backup and restore data for any individual application.

The DCS/DLP installation process provides a script to run on the Oracle server to automatically create the Protect db.  As DCS is built atop DLP, we would need to confirm with someone in the 'DLP world' if DLP can use an existing db and just add the tables it needs to such existing db.

In looking into the "Symantec_DLP_Oracle_11g_Installation_Upgrade_Guide.pdf" file, I find the following caution:

Caution: You must use the Symantec Data Loss Prevention template to create

the database. Do not use an alternate template or reuse an existing database

instance. If you do not use the supplied template, failures can occur when

you use Symantec Data Loss Prevention. Failures can also occur later when

you try to upgrade the product.

From this, I would believe DCS/DLP requires its own database with the name Protect.

Fremont
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Kenneth.  That's exactly the section I refered them to.  It seems to me using an existin db would not even be supported based on this.

Their Oracle is on unix and apparently they use a single db for all apps.  Their DBA was explaining to me that it is sufficient to create the schema.

Kenneth_Adams
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would be concerned about the security of the data in the database tables.  I would think that anyone with access to this 'central' db would have access to ALL of the data in the db.  I don't know Oracle db security, so I could be way off here.  It just seems very unsecure having multiple applications running out of the same db.