cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom EVPM folder and Quota Based archiving

evinfo
Level 4

All -

We are currently implementing EV 9.0.2. We are deploying a "Quota" based archiving with 20% free and 1 "Custom folder" with "Forever" retention category via EVPM scripting.

1. We would like to archive the "Custom Folder" every night, while the rest of the mailbox, we would like to archive only if the mailbox is less than 20% free. I believe this can be done by using the "Inactivity period = 1 (day)" parameter in EVPM scripts and standard "Quota" archiving for the rest of the mailbox. Can someone confirm?

2. If above is valid, can someone elaborate on how the archiving tasks goes through the mailbox for archiving. Does it first go through the "Custom Folder" and archive everything older than 1 day and then a subsequent run to check if the mailbox is less than 20% free? (or vice versa) - Or does it check for both in 1 run?

Thanks..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Joyce_VERI
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited

Hi

If i understand correctly, you want to have a folder in each mailbox that gets archived fully every night (items > 0 days) and the items are archived with a Retention Category of Forever, plus you want a weekly archving run to target all over folders based on a quota-based policy?  If this is the case then I don't believe it can be done.  You could have the quota-based policy run every night, same as the age-based policy, or have both done weekly by scheduling the archive task to only run weekly.  The rason for this is that they are actually just part of the same policy, and here's why...

When the archiving task is processing a mailbox for archiving, it will create two lists in memory. These lists will contain items of different properties. The first list is for “age” based. Items that are older than what is specified in the mailbox policy will be added to this list. The second list is for “quota” based. Thus, if the mailbox is over the quota threshold, the archiving task will look for larger items to archive and add them to the second list.

While building a list of items to add to the second list, shortcut size estimation is performed. This estimation is used in determining how many emails need to be archived.

The combined length of both lists is equal to the “Maximum Number of Items Per Pass” setting. The default is 1000 messages. Keep in mind that we can perform multiple passes to ensure the mailbox is within the quota or age threshold.

While the two lists are being populated, items from either list can be removed or moved if a better qualifying item is found during the scan. For example, the list contains an email that is 4MB and the list is currently full (as defined by the “Maximum Number of Items per Pass” setting) and a 5MB email is found. The 4MB email will be removed from the list and the 5MB email will be added as it is larger and has better qualifications for archiving.

Once the first list (“age”) has reached the “Maximum Number of Items Per Pass” setting, there is no need to continue to search for items that would qualify for the second list (“quota”) for the current pass. The first list will be processed by the archiving task. The archiving task will then make a second run (or as many runs as needed) to look for other items that would qualify for either list until the age and quota thresholds have been achieved.

Hope this helps

Andy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Andy_Joyce_VERI
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited

Hi

If i understand correctly, you want to have a folder in each mailbox that gets archived fully every night (items > 0 days) and the items are archived with a Retention Category of Forever, plus you want a weekly archving run to target all over folders based on a quota-based policy?  If this is the case then I don't believe it can be done.  You could have the quota-based policy run every night, same as the age-based policy, or have both done weekly by scheduling the archive task to only run weekly.  The rason for this is that they are actually just part of the same policy, and here's why...

When the archiving task is processing a mailbox for archiving, it will create two lists in memory. These lists will contain items of different properties. The first list is for “age” based. Items that are older than what is specified in the mailbox policy will be added to this list. The second list is for “quota” based. Thus, if the mailbox is over the quota threshold, the archiving task will look for larger items to archive and add them to the second list.

While building a list of items to add to the second list, shortcut size estimation is performed. This estimation is used in determining how many emails need to be archived.

The combined length of both lists is equal to the “Maximum Number of Items Per Pass” setting. The default is 1000 messages. Keep in mind that we can perform multiple passes to ensure the mailbox is within the quota or age threshold.

While the two lists are being populated, items from either list can be removed or moved if a better qualifying item is found during the scan. For example, the list contains an email that is 4MB and the list is currently full (as defined by the “Maximum Number of Items per Pass” setting) and a 5MB email is found. The 4MB email will be removed from the list and the 5MB email will be added as it is larger and has better qualifications for archiving.

Once the first list (“age”) has reached the “Maximum Number of Items Per Pass” setting, there is no need to continue to search for items that would qualify for the second list (“quota”) for the current pass. The first list will be processed by the archiving task. The archiving task will then make a second run (or as many runs as needed) to look for other items that would qualify for either list until the age and quota thresholds have been achieved.

Hope this helps

Andy

evinfo
Level 4

Andy,

Thanks for the detail information. I would like to make a little change in your description. The "Forever" folder with corrosponding "forever" retention category, I would like to archive on a nightly basis.I would create this folder with EVPM using "Inactivity Period = 0 days". So soon as the user drags items during the day over the folder, that night the item would be archived.

The default mailbox policy is on a quota basis (20% free). So the rest of the mailbox would get archived when 20% of the mailbox is not free. The archiving task would run on a nightly basis.

Are you saying that might not be possible?

If possible, does the archiving task look at the "Forever" folder first, as it has parameters which is overwritten from the rest of the mailbox folders (hidden file). So, EV task would archive everything in the "Archive folder" first on the first run and then the task would come back around to the rest of the mailbox based on quota with second run?

Or is it in the same archiving run (first one) does it look at both the "Forever" folder and the mailbox quota?

I hope I'm clear - if not please don't hesitate to ask for further clarifications.

Appreciate your response.