cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP3 Move Index Locations

cwohechler
Level 3

I have found numerous posts and Tech articles explaining the correct procedures for moving the Enterprise Vault Index File/Folder locations. I noticed that the steps include stopping the Index Service prior to moving the files and folders. Backups on the Index Files and the Storage Groups are run every day and the Backup Agent places the Indexes in Backup Mode. Why can't you just place the Index files in Backup Mode while the copy is completing? I have a large amount of data to move and would rather not keep the service off line.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what gertjan saying is valid and is what i would call best practice. here are some ideas from my experience:

1. what type of storage are your indexes on? can you use snapshots to quickly and easily replicate the data?

2. if #1 isnt an option then in order to minimize the offline service duriation - consider a robocopy of the indexes whilst in backup mode then stop the EV services and run the robocopy again to pick up anything that was in use and couldn't be copied.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

To be sure that NOTHING has changed while moving an index, you need to stop the service.

If the indexlocation is in backupmode, the files are risking to be 'locked' by the process.

When you stop the indexing service, the 'only' thing you are preventing your users to do is to use Archive Explorer, and Search Safe. Their shortcuts will work.

I would definitely stop the service, then move/copy the indexes.

Regards. Gertjan

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

what gertjan saying is valid and is what i would call best practice. here are some ideas from my experience:

1. what type of storage are your indexes on? can you use snapshots to quickly and easily replicate the data?

2. if #1 isnt an option then in order to minimize the offline service duriation - consider a robocopy of the indexes whilst in backup mode then stop the EV services and run the robocopy again to pick up anything that was in use and couldn't be copied.