cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA - No Searchable Vault Stores

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified

All - I've just installed DA (8.0.3) server with the customer/custodian manager/configuration database without any issues. I have "EVADMIN" with the "Discovery System Admin" priviledges and I gave "Discovery System Admin" all of the permissions in DA.

This should be pretty straight forward in that I'm create a "Case" with the necessary information but when it comes to "Searchable Vault Stores", it is empty (Though I have 2 vault stores) and thus I cannot save the Case because the "Searchable Vault Store is not specified".

I'm not sure if I'm missing some priviledges which allows me to see the "Vault Stores", etc..

any help would be apprecaited.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified

Tony - Ok figured it out. Actually in the "DNS Alias" for "Discovery" DB I had specified the Site Name without even thinking about it and thus could not find the vault stores, as it should have been the alias name of the Ev server.

thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Do the Vault Stores show in the application section?  You can force a manual synch if necessary.

Also, this might help: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318849.htm

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified
Tony,

No the vault stores do not show in the application section? How do I force a manual synch? Not sure of that option?

The strange thing is this is a vanilla install and usually the EVADMIN user with the "Discovery System Admin" has the priviledge to see all of the vaults.

I'm thinking I'm missing some kind of configuration parameter...

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
One of the new features in sp 3 was greater control over the permissions.  You should check that the sys admin role has manage archives.  Below is an excerpt from the updates.htm

Greater control of the permissions associated with Discovery Accelerator roles
The permissions that are associated with Discovery Accelerator roles have changed to offer you more flexibility in how you control access to tasks. In brief, the changes to the Discovery Accelerator permissions are as follows:

As well as selecting the permissions that you want to associate with a role, you can also choose to deny certain permissions to users who occupy the role. By denying the permissions, you stop users from acquiring them when they are assigned to other roles that do allow the permissions.

For example, suppose that you want to prevent some users from accessing all the facilities in the Discovery Accelerator client except for the search facility. To achieve this, you would assign the users to a role in which you have set the Search and Search Preview permissions to Allow, but you have set all the other permissions to Deny. Even if the users are assigned to other roles that grant them additional permissions, they cannot exercise them; the Deny permissions take precedence.

When you create a Security report for a case, it now shows the Allow and Deny permissions for each role and the effective permissions for each user.

In earlier versions of Discovery Accelerator, a Case Admin permission granted users access to a wide range of administrative facilities in a case. This permission has now been removed and replaced by the following permissions, which you can allow or deny as necessary:

Permission Description
Configure Case Properties Change the properties of a case, such as its name, status, and owner.
Manage Archives Set the list of archives in which to search.
Manage Marks/Tags Select the review marks, tags, and tag groups that are available to reviewers in a case or research folder.
Manage Targets Create, edit, and delete the email targets and target groups that you can include in the criteria of a search.
Role Assignment Assign roles to users in a case.

Users with the Admin role now have just two mandatory permissions by default: Configure Case Properties and Role Assignment. All other permissions are optional.
A new permission, Search Preview, lets users preview the results of a search before they accept or reject it. Users who have this permission must also have the Search permission.
If you upgrade to Discovery Accelerator 8.0 SP3 from an earlier version, the new permissions replace the old ones, and users with the old permissions acquire the new permissions. No users acquire more permissions than they had before.

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified
Tony - Sysadmin does have the "Manage Archives" permission, so when I go to application/archives -> I manually synchronize the archives but again I do not see any archives./vault stores.

The permissions above you are discussing I completely agree is gives more control over case procedures/permission, but I can't even get started creating a search.

In my lab, I have installed 8.0.3 and by default it show me all of the vault stores in the Application/Archives tab.

I've even uninstalled and reinstalled the server side, though I kept the existing DB and reused them but again to no avail.. Maybe I need to blow away the DB, which store the priviledges and there is something screwey there...

strange!!!

EVHolic
Level 5
Partner Certified

Tony - Ok figured it out. Actually in the "DNS Alias" for "Discovery" DB I had specified the Site Name without even thinking about it and thus could not find the vault stores, as it should have been the alias name of the Ev server.

thanks for your help.