cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DA8 Upgrade - Status/Progress and Expectations

jonotto
Level 2

Once the DA8 upgrade moves to "Converting database dates," is there a way to see how far along it is in the process?  We've been in this state for over 40 hours.  The database is nearly 300GB.  We upgraded from 7.5SP2 to 7.5SP6 to 8.0SP3 (currently doing the latter).  Just curious if the community knows anything about this process, as it seems there's a general lack of content on the subject (here and the internet).  I'm not sure what the upgrade is doing (which I see as a problem for Symantec to fix in their installer/updater), but I would imagine that something needs to change to provide a better customer experience (which seems to be an afterthought with the lack of some type of obvious progress information).

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
make sure your transaction logs, temp db areas and other drives have lots and lots and lots space.
However, I know that perfectly normal upgrades have gone over 40 hours for 125GB databases.....Best thing you can do is look at Activity Monitor for SQL and just have a look at the SQL stored procedures running and cpu/disk time etc.

What i would suggest though is keep it running, dont cancel anything or do anything drastic thinking its failed and gone wrong
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

jonotto
Level 2
Thanks for the response, JW2.  All storage was verified and I know the transaction log LUN was expanded to 800GB as part of the planning.  We looked in the Activity Monitor and see nothing listed in there.  Any ideas on what we should look for?  We noticed the transaction log was at 1.2GB prior to the upgrade and it remains at that size even now.  I'm just concerned that we're waiting and waiting and waiting and nothing is really happening.

Version: 7.5 SP6 revision 003
State: Upgrading
Customer's tasks: Stopped
Info: Converting database dates

Connection Time Out is set to 0 and Connect Life Time is set to 500.  Nothing has been closed out and it has continued to run.  Quite frustrating.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
call in to support, you definitely need to up the timeout, you may have failed out on the upgrade
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

jonotto
Level 2
Time Out is set to 0, which means there is not a timeout (0 = Infinite).  Our BCE was on-site during the upgrade and this was the change recommended by the BCS team.