DNS aliases on Cluster

evinfo
Level 4
All -

We have 3+1 cluster.

AliasNode1 -> PhysicalNode1
AliasNode2 -> PhysicalNode2
AliasNode3 -> PhysicalNode3
No Alias -> PhysicalNode4 (Failover server).

Now with a cluster virtual name/IP how do we configure DNS so that the Virtual servername and aliasNode1 to work together?

Or with Clustering should we just use "AliasNode1" as the virtual name and have no DNS alias specifically for PhysicalNode1?

The over archiving question is how does DNS aliasing work within a clustered environment?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 What i'm saying unless I mis-understood you message is that each server needs to have its physical name in DNS
The virtual name of the cluster also needs to have a DDNS record in DNS

When it comes to EV you would follow the Installation guide that comes with EV on how to install EV on a MS Cluster.
These include setting up the necessary virtual resources
Set the Vault Site Alias
Computer Alias
Set a DNS Alias

For the failover node there is a difference when setting up EV because you specify that the node is a failover node, This is done during the configuration of the failover node after installing EV

Not sure what version of EV you have but on EV8 SP3 the steps start on Section 6 which is page 229 of the Installing and configuring guide that comes with the EV

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Each physical node will have it's name in DNS including the fail over
The Virtual cluster name will also have a DNS entry. This virtual name will be the name of the cluster. When there is a failure it is the virtual name and IP that moves from server to server and they physical will always stay with the hardware.

I presume you are doing DDNS in a 2003 or higher domain environment

evinfo
Level 4
Scanner,

So are you suggesting this ?

"Alias Name -  "Physical Ser Name" - "Virtual Name to use with Cluster"
AliasNode1       PhysicalNode1             VAliasNode1 (VirtualName)

Same thing for the remaider of the nodes. So use the "Virtual name" with clustering and "aliasnames" with EV configuration and in theory it would help us with aliases if we ever broke the cluster?

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 What i'm saying unless I mis-understood you message is that each server needs to have its physical name in DNS
The virtual name of the cluster also needs to have a DDNS record in DNS

When it comes to EV you would follow the Installation guide that comes with EV on how to install EV on a MS Cluster.
These include setting up the necessary virtual resources
Set the Vault Site Alias
Computer Alias
Set a DNS Alias

For the failover node there is a difference when setting up EV because you specify that the node is a failover node, This is done during the configuration of the failover node after installing EV

Not sure what version of EV you have but on EV8 SP3 the steps start on Section 6 which is page 229 of the Installing and configuring guide that comes with the EV