cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR question

Patrick_2
Level 4
Is it possible, via third party or natively, to backup/restore a single vault archive for a particular mailbox or group of mailboxes?  I have a requirement to, in the event of a disaster, to be able to quickly restore a small group of executive level mailboxes, including their archived email.  Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

Jeffrey_Lynch
Level 4
Partner
hmm, regarding dr, how robust is your existing ev dr config? are you replicated to another location? what type of dr failure are we talkin about here? if you have a requirment to make even one piece of email retrievable you need 3 things minimum, SQL , EV, and Vault Store content, so long as the users mailbox has the shortcuts he/she should be gtg...
with the above avail you should even be able to export back to mailbox from within the VAC

forgot to mention that if you need to actually have users do searches/use archive explorer, then yes you surely need index info as well

Message Edited by Jeffrey Lynch on 09-26-2007 02:45 AM

Patrick_2
Level 4
We're talking about the complete failure of the data center, and don't have any data replication technologies in place.  So, we'd have to restore from tape, but since that is tons of data it will take a very long time.  That is why I'd like to know if it's possible to restore a small amount of archive vaults similar to single mailbox restore via brick-level backups in Exchange.  One thing I thought of was that I could create a second vault store and move the selected individuals to that.  Would that be a viable option?  What happens if I were to move someone from one vault store to another?  Do their archived items move too, or is it a point in time and forward operation where only new archived items will be stored in the new vault store?

Jeffrey_Lynch
Level 4
Partner
At this stage of the game i don't see a way around doing at minimum the entire vault store unless you know the the individual's archive (from the advanced tab). Moving content from vault store x to vault store y is a rather different beast... Since we are sharing content across a VSP then moving that content is sorta difficult at the moment.  For users you want to move to another vault store there are two things you can do...
  1. Follow the process from a tech note (unfortunately I don't have that committed to memory) which basically walks you through disabling a user for mailbox archiving and working through a few steps to then re-enabling them specifying the new vault store. The end result is two archives.
  2. Export content back to the exchange mailbox then disable, zap mailbox, whack archive then re-enable specifying the new vault store.
Anyone else comments or additional input on this?

Patrick_2
Level 4
Can you go into further details about what you mean when you say "...unless you know the the individual's archive (from the advanced tab)"?  Thanks.

Jeffrey_Lynch
Level 4
Partner
My bad, i meant to state :

From within the Enterprise Vault Console, Note the ArchiveID from the Advanced Tab for the User's archive.

Patrick_2
Level 4
Right, but what do I do with that?  Is it possible to restore only that archive if I know the ID?