cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Database Creation

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Question about the installation procedure.

When we create the database, are we sending commands to the SQL server to create the database, or are we moving pre-made database files over to the indicated shares and then attaching the SQL server to them?

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Alan_M
Level 6
You're executing SQL scripts to create the dbs from scratch.

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Thanks Alan, that's what I thought, but I had to check.

Doing a new install on a SQL2005 cluster. I have the VSA granted SA permissions on the SQL server and immediately after I specify a folder location for the db and transaction log files I get this error:

Error creating the remote Vault Directory database:
0x80040e14

We have the right permissions, nothing else that I can think of that would cause the issue. Thoughts?

Alan_M
Level 6
When you browse the hidden share for the drive are you able to navigate the folder structure? I remember coming across a similar problem with a SQL 2005 install but I wasn't able to see the administrative shares (I$, S$, etc) when browsing. I had to remove the disk resources from the cluster and re-add them.

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Yes I can. I can even Start | Run and browse there, create files, the whole thing.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
what's the folder path look like.
Not too long is it, or 'funny' characters?

Lee_Allison
Level 6
e:\test

Not much there, eh?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
try creating a folder under that and putting the database there...

Kopfjager
Level 5
Employee Certified
Going off Aan's post, I've seen a issue where the log directory was being pointed to a volume that was not a cluster dependency to the SQL group and it would not allow the database to be created.

Check your disk dependencies for SQL and make sure that both data and log locations (if on seperate disks) are set.

This is what we saw.

FOUND:
When trying to create the EV Databases, they are getting two errors.
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Directory Service
Event ID: 13360
Date: 12/12/2006
Time: 1:45:17 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXXXXXX
Description:
An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'TMP_MASTER_TMP_FOR_4019448' (Internal reference: .\ADODataAccess.cpp (CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand) built Jul 25 17:21:03 2006):
Description:
CREATE DATABASE failed. Some file names listed could not be created. Check related errors.

SQL Command:
CREATE DATABASE EnterpriseVaultDirectory ON
( NAME = 'VaultDev70', FILENAME = 'E:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\VaultDevf2.mdf',SIZE = 10 MB)
LOG ON( NAME = 'VaultLog70', FILENAME = 'L:\SQLLOGS\VaultLogf2.mdf',SIZE = 25 MB)

Additional Microsoft supplied information:

Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
Number: <0x80040e14>
SQL State: 37000
Native Error: 00001802
HRESULT <0x80040e14>

AND
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Directory Service
Event ID: 13360
Date: 12/12/2006
Time: 1:45:17 PM
User: N/A
Computer: XXXXXXXXX
Description:
An error was detected while accessing the Vault Database 'TMP_MASTER_TMP_FOR_4019448' (Internal reference: .\ADODataAccess.cpp (CADODataAccess::ExecuteSQLCommand) built Jul 25 17:21:03 2006):
Description:
Cannot use file 'L:\SQLLOGS\VaultLogf2.mdf' for clustered server. Only formatted files on which the cluster resource of the server has a dependency can be used.Message was edited by:
P S

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Actually Jim Schreiner from Support provided the resolution:

The SQL server had been setup with the 'model' database defaulted to 200M in size. Apparently this causes issues because the EV install routine expects a 10M size 'model' database.

Who knew?

Andy_Wragg_-_BT
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi,

Has this enabled the database to be created? Is as simple as changing the size of the database?

Andy_Wragg_-_BT
Level 4
Partner Accredited
OK Got an update on this one....

The clustered SQL Server isnt configured correctly. The customer (or another 3rd Party who installed SQL cluster) has not configured the disk dependencies correctly for the clustered instance of SQL. The log disk isnt a dependant resource of the SQL Server, and the actual (existing) LDF's are on the same disk as the MDF's. Not a very fault tolerant solution to say the least.
I was trying to install the EV logs to the SAN/SQL Log disk (as anyone in their right mind would). Instead I installed the EV database and logs to the database disk and the install continues as normal.
I have dumped this config, however and will now be pushing the customer to correct the mistake before I continue with a best practice approach.

Andy