cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete Policy

GrahamHyland
Level 4

Hi I created a Delete policy for my FSA file server.

However the policy does not seem to delete previously archived items. is this normal or am I missing some thing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That would be normal.  When you make a policy change it is only applied to newly archived items.

TS

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling

That would be normal.  When you make a policy change it is only applied to newly archived items.

TS

GrahamHyland
Level 4

Thanks for contacting me.

Would you have a suggestion that would enable me to remove placeholders? I am having difficulty with my fileserver and the time it takes to scan before a backup. Mainly because the ammount of files is an incredible number and the most of these are placeholders.

Can I remove placeholders and later the archived data ?

Graham

TonySterling

Just so I understand, you wish to keep the archived items but delete the placeholders for items older than X?

I don't think that is something that is currently an option in the product.  You could post an idea in the Ideas section. 

EV_Ajay
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi,

To remove the archive Data you can select the Retention Category option in the policy. (Retention Category Tab).

For that Retention Category set the Retention Period. So after that Retention Period the archived data will be deleted from storage with help of Storage Expiry option at EV site properties.

If you change the Retention Category option in the old policy , it will apply on your old archived data. If we change / modify the setting in old policy it wil applicable to old data.

You can use FSAUtility with the -o parameter to delete orphaned placeholders for which no corresponding item exists in the archive.

Syntax

FSAUtility -o -s UNC_path [-l log_level] [-r]

Articles :

About FSAUtility
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57806

FSAUtility options
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO57559