cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deployment Scanner missing Powershell

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

I'm running V8SP5 deployment scanner on a 64 Bit Windows 2003 Server (Enterprise Edition R2 SP2)

Deployment scanner tells me PowerShell is not installed. I can Start=>Run=PowerShell and Powershell comes up fine.

Has anyone else encountered this?

THX!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So that's the same as mine too :)  Which is good, and bad at the same time.  I can't figure out too much more without spending a lot of time digging through the code.  I would suggest that you log a call with Symantec Support, and reference this forum.  The Support Engineer can reach out to me then.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I think the issue is that Windows 2008 comes with PS 2.0 and EV8 looks for Version 1.0

Have you tried installing version 1.0 or what happens if you ignore the warning about PS will it let you install and still run EV

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

We're using version 1 of Powershell....

This is Server 2003 64 bit.

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

If it's there then you can safely ignore the warning as everything will continue to work just fine. My guess would be that there is a missing environment variable or reg key that we use to check for the existence or version of Powershell

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Is it possible that 64-bit PowerShell is installed, but EV expects 32-bit, or vice-versa?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

That's entirely possible. Our Powershell scripts are designed for 32-bit if I recall correctly

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

Thanks!!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So going back a little bit...  Windows 2003 R2 x64 SP 2.  What version of powershell did you install?  What bit-ness (32 or 64) did you install?

After a clean install of Windows 2003 x64 R2 SP 2 Enterprise, the deployment scanner said "no powershell".

I installed .Net Framework 2.0, and then Powershell 1.0, and now I see :

Note: I've not RUN powershell yet

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

but there is a powershell.exe.exe in the windows\SysWOW64\windowspowershell\v1.0 folder.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm then it's odd - I mean, I used those simple steps that I mentioned above, and I have no problem in deployment scanner.

I think you'd need to find out how it was built to get powershell on there, and we can then see what differences there are.

MichelZ
Level 6

What about this:

Just uninstall all PowerShells, and then install the 32-bit PowerShell from scratch...

Cheers

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Unless I'm doing something wrong Michel (always a first time ;-)) I don't think you can do that.

I uninstalled 64 bit powershell - deployment scanner now gives me a warning.

I downloaded 32 bit Windows 2003 powershell from :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926139

When I run the installation, I get :

MichelZ
Level 6

OK, so maybe 64-bit PS installs 32-bit binaries, too...

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

There is a Powershell in the %windir%\system32\windowspowershell\v1.0 folder and there is one in the  %windir%\sysWOW64\windowspowershell\v1.0 folder.

They are both the same version, 6.0.543.0. My understanding is that a 32 bit app will be redirected to the sysWOW64 Folder, but for some reason DP is not doing this.

It's not normally a big deal, but in this environment, everything is a big deal.... 

There is no Powershell in Add/Remove Programs.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Click the "Show Updates" check box, that should show it.

Meanwhile I'll see if I can look at the code to see what we look for to determine if Powershell is installed.

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

But that doesn't show it either

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

hmm, so it's powershell 1.0 right?

You see anything like this :

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

So, I had a look at the code.

Deployment scanner looks at the following :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Powershell\1

If that's not there, then it looks in the WOW6432Node for Microsoft\Powershell\1

And if it's not there then it looks for the pure 64 bit view of HKLM.

It's look for a key called "Install", which on my install is in :

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Powershell\1\Install, and the value is 1

If it's not found or doesn't have a value of 1, then powershell is not installed.

We then look for the PowershellEngine subkey, and the Powershellversion component.  If either of these aren't found, we suggest it's not installed.

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

and will check then... The VPN is not working.

THX!!!

sleddog
Level 5
Partner

Here is what I have

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Powershell\1 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wow6432Node\Powershell\1

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Powershell\1\Install, and the value is 1   (Install is a DWord)

• There is NOT an Install DWord under KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wow6432Node\Powershell\1

There is a PowerShellEngine Subkey under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Wow6432Node\Powershell\1

and

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Powershell\1

What looks like it's missing is:

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Wow6432Node\Powershell\1\Install

Could this be the problem?

Thanks!!