cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed comparision between MS Exchange 2010 and Enterprise Vault - Archiving and Retention Feature

GauravAditya
Level 5
Hello All,

I have a question in relation to the two technologies - Microsoft Exchange 2010 and Symantec Enteprise Vault 8.0

The question is in relation to the Archiving and Retention Feature in-built in MS Exchange 2010 to that with Enterprise Vault 8.0

Can anyone please provide me a detailed comparison between both of these?

Thanks and Regards,

GauravAditya 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
We do have an internal document regarding differences between us and Exchange 2010 but this is for internal purposes only. I believe this to be down to legal agreements working alongside each other and as the software is not out yet this is the reason why, as far as I can see, we have not been provided information that can be given to the outside world.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
I'm unsure if anyone would have done a detailed side by side comparison between the two. I also don't believe that Microsoft's first attempt at getting into the archiving market will have the abilities and features that are presently in Enterprise Vault.

They would not have the flexibility of Discovery Accelerator or the ever watching eye of Compliance Accelerator. They also do not have any File System Archiving option. Maybe in the future they will develop these items but unless you just want to archive outlook items i don't think you will be coming close to the features available in Enterprise Vault

I would however say that it is something to watch for the future as Microsoft have a tendency grow quickly in a market when they decide they want in.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Flexibility in EV is good. I doubt (as Liam states) that the first few attempts of MS will be close to what EV has to offer.

Granular provisioning for example, DA and CA are strong points, compression, SIS, flexibility in what storage to use (centera etc).

I would definitely not wait for the MS feature, and use EV. If necessary, you can always export the archives back in Exchange and use MS Archiving ;)

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
There is currently essentially no comparison at all with this attempt. As I can ascertrain the archiving in 2010 is actually just a 2nd mailbox so it is quite rudamentary.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
There will be comparisations once EX 2k10 is out. There is not much information out there yet. I highly believe that the "first shot" of microsoft is not comparable to the sophisticated archiving solutions out there, especially Enterprise Vault. So for the next 1 or 2 versions (3-6 years) you will probably be safe not counting on MS archiving. ;) Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

DanSimpson
Not applicable
So could anyone provide some in-sight into what Symantec's supportability stance will be for Exchange 2010 in regards to Enterprise Vault?

How long would we have to wait after Exchange 2010 is released (Likely later this year) before a compatible version of EV was available?

Cheers Dan

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
I'm sure that seeing as Exchnage 2010 is in Beta at the moment that Symantec are working on testing compatability.

I'm also sure that shortly after Exchnage 2010 is released that Symantec will have it listed on the compatability list for EV. My guess is when you get SP3 or SP4 for EV 8 you may have compatability

I'm sure Mike Bilsborough can provide more feedabck as to when to expect the compatability to be announced

GauravAditya
Level 5
Do we have a comparison on their capability as yet ?

If yes please provide me with some features that can be a breakthrough for EV above MS Exchange 2010

You inputs are highly valueable.

Regards,

GauravAditya

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
From what i have seen in Exchange 2010 is not really an archive anything like Enterprise Vault
Exchange is just like having a second mailbox for each user compared to Enterprise vault which provides single instancing, comprehensive searching ability. Add Discovery Accelerator to EV an you get a very comprehensive case management system which includes extensive searching at a case level, review ability and then legal hold and production with bates numbers to comply with legal requirements

Then on DA you have the option of exporting to applications like concordance which the lawyers use to search and review the data for use in court

So a simple mailbox with search and a do not delete( legal hold)

Compared to a comprehensive archive, single instance, chain of custody management and extensive searching with production again maintaining chain of custody and the option for bates numbers plus export direct to your lawyers systems for use in court

I so no comparison between the products

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
We are working closely with MS as you would expect regarding Exchange 2010. Regarding a comparison document there is nothing available for public consumption as of yet but as soon as there is it will be uploaded to this site.

Regarding when we support 2010 our usual stance is that we will endeavor to have support within 3 months of release date but personally I have seen no internal information as to what version of EV it will be included in. That makes sense as it has not been released itself yet as you know.

GauravAditya
Level 5
I completely take all your answers as valid however, the issue is that the co. does not want to invest in an archiving solution if the same features are built-in Exchange 2010.  With the current market situation, companies are becoming wise to decide, plan, evaluate and then invest rather than chose the best match as Requirement v/s Price and just do it. So I would need atleast some comparision that would justify EV over Exchange.

Sorry if I am streching this a bit too much but i need this and hence this forum thread.

Regards,

GauravAditya

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
I would recommend that you speak to an account representative that you have. I personally cannot give out any information due to legal reasons but maybe there are other people who will be able to give you this information. If you have no such person then let me know and I will have a look at what I can do for you.

GauravAditya
Level 5
 Microsoft Technical Team says that we have no such comparison chart and or information on this...

Can someone from Symantec throw some light on this?

Regards,

GauravAditya

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 GauravAditya

There is no such comparison available. I'm sure Microsoft wont compare their version of mailbox archiving to EV because it will show up very lacking in options and features

Symantec wont do such a comparison because Exchange 2010 is not int the same league.

I would give up this quest because unless you are going to do a comparison it wont happen

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
We do have an internal document regarding differences between us and Exchange 2010 but this is for internal purposes only. I believe this to be down to legal agreements working alongside each other and as the software is not out yet this is the reason why, as far as I can see, we have not been provided information that can be given to the outside world.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
There was a ferris.com article today which may is of interest:

http://www.ferris.com/2009/07/07/exchange-2010-archiving-how-microsoft-sees-it/

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

GauravAditya
Level 5
Have we got anymore clarity on this part as yet ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Unfortunately the internal document is still just that... internal. 

I've not read this in detail, but the features seem quite "light" : http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/2010/en/us/Archiving-and-retention.aspx
Working for cloudficient.com

EV_Product_Mark
Level 2
Employee
This is an interesting discussion.  I'll try to help with a few tools that MS and Symantec have worked together to deliver.

Best,
Sean Regan
EV Product Marketing

1. A case Study on EV and Exchange 2010.  We encourage customers to upgrade to 2010 and can help with the migration in a number of ways.  See the linked doc to learn more about EV support  for 2010. http://www.microsoft.com/casestudies/Case_Study_Detail.aspx?CaseStudyID=4000005430

2. A  joint webcast with SYMC and MS on Exchane 2010 and Information Management. https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?_requestid=142578&a_id=87302&

Also, I have put together a few lists on Migrations and Information Management for MS.    I'll post these here since I dont have them linked yet to help you with your project. 

Top 5 Reasons to Archive Now and Simplify Future Migrations to Exchange 2010
1.)    Smaller mailboxes = faster migrations: Whether you are using Exchange 2000, 2003 or 2007 the upgrade to Exchange 2010 can be accelerated by using Enterprise Vault. By applying archiving policies to the end user’s existing mailbox, Enterprise Vault can shrink the volume of live mail on Exchange. Throughout this process the end user will maintain transparent access to their archived data. Mailbox migrations, backups and recovery efforts will be accelerated because archiving has reduced the data that resides on the actual messaging server.
2.)    End user experience:  With any new software deployment, end user experience and acceptance is critical to success. Introduce new policies and minimize the learning curve for Exchange 2010 by deploying Enterprise Vault during the migration. On day one end users will have a transparent Outlook experience that includes the ability manage live, legacy and archived email right from within Outlook - with or without shortcuts regardless if the user  is on or. Eliminate mailbox quotas and the need for PSTs without taking away that familiar user experience.  
3.)    PST elimination now and forever:  Deploy archiving now to eliminate PST files by finding, collecting and centralizing them in the archive. Content is single instanced and retention and expiry polices are implemented. When customers deploy Exchange 2010 there will be no PST’s to collect, corrupt or manage. Legacy PST data will still be accessible to end users via the original folder structure and Outlook search. Data can be moved to and from the live mailbox or archive just as if users were working with a PST, only without all of the storage, backup and retention management headaches.
4.)    Optimize your new architecture: Right-size your new Exchange environment by maintaining single instance storage (SIS) as you move content from a previous version of Exchange over to Exchange 2010 which no longer offers native SIS. Planning for the storage savings provided by Enterprise Vault with SIS and tiered storage can help customers save money by getting the right mix of tier 1,2 and 3 storage in place prior to Exchange deployment. For Exchange 2010 customers using Database Availability Groups Enterprise Vault can help make Exchange more highly available with less disk by reducing the size of Exchange databases.
5.)    Optimize Exchange server performance: Manage the size of your mailboxes and Exchange archives with Enterprise Vault by implementing retention and expiry policies as you deploy. Cut down the number of servers and storage required for your new Exchange deployment and keep Exchange at predictable levels while reducing the costs associated with powering, managing and operating Exchange. Automate the movement of older or larger emails and attachments off to 2nd or 3rd tier storage, reducing storage required for Exchange and accelerating backup processes.
Customer Success Story
To make the transition to Symantec Enterprise Vault efficient and easy, Fenwick & West used the solution’s Microsoft Exchange PST Migrator feature. “When we first started with Enterprise Vault we had several thousand PST files on network drives and on local computers,” says Oliver Rebollido, senior network engineer at Fenwick & West. “It was great to use the PST migrator to migrate all those emails into Enterprise Vault and still maintain the same folder structure. The users had no idea that the PSTs weren’t there, and could find archives as before.” Without PST Migrator, he says, “We would have had to manually copy the emails into Exchange and then archive them. It would probably have taken months, given the amount of email we had.” Oliver Rebollido, senior network engineer at Fenwick & West.

Top 10 Benefits of Symantec Archiving and Backup for Exchange 2010
1.       Manageable Mailbox Sizes – Keep Exchange mailboxes at manageable levels with age based and quota based archiving policies. Users get seamless access to the archive presenting archived email as if it were a PST, without the management or headaches associated with PST files.
2.       Anytime, Anywhere Access – Seamless access to archived email and archived PST files while offline, within Outlook Web Access(OWA), and on mobile devices.
3.       Tiered Storage – Automate the movement of information to the right storage tier, for the right amount of time based on value, age, and size – even place files for long term retention on tape or WORM storage for compliance. 
4.       Deduplication Everywhere – Introduce efficient single instance storage to Exchange to reduce storage resources whether in remote offices or in the data center across the archive and backups.
5.       Improve Migrations & Upgrades -Move older items out of Exchange and into Enterprise Vault to reduce the size of Exchange message stores by up to 90%. The reduction in the size of each message store allows you to move email to Exchange 2010 much faster, providing a reduction in the costs and time required for the migration process.
6.       Apply Consistent Policies – Comply with regulations and information governance policies by consistently applying retention and expiry policies to email. There’s no need to keep it any longer than necessary.  

7.       Reduce Backups – Archive first, then reduce backup windows even further by eliminating brick-level mailbox (MAPI) backups while retaining the ability to quickly recover individual emails and mailboxes.

8.       Recover Faster- Reducing the active message store size by archiving means less data to restore in the event of a disaster. Restore complete Exchange servers to any point in time or individual Exchange items within minutes.

9.       Find Information Faster – Enable end users to search across live and archived email with native Microsoft Outlook or Windows desktop search tools while giving legal teams the tools to search, discover, review  and implement legal holds with no IT dependencies.
10.   Manage More Data with Fewer Tools  - Information management doesn’t stop with email. Symantec’s information management products work across multiple information sources such as SharePoint, instant messaging, file servers and databases and allows you to centralize backup and archiving processes while applying the benefits of deduplication, retention and expiry.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I've been to technet live day in the Netherlands. Believe me, the archiving as placed in 2010 is in no way comparable to Enterprise Vault.

What MS calls 'archive' is in fact a 2nd mailbox of the same user.
It will show in Outlook as "archive - Alink, G.H.J." (gee, where have I seen this before? Oh WAIT EV Client SP3!)
It will not do any compression on that 'archive'
It will not do SIS (except for the 2010 sissing)
It will have a search feature, but only for mailboxes, no journal (or do you want to have a 'archive' journal mailbox )
The search feature is NOT accepted in the US for legal discovery issues.
Moving a mailbox to another Exchange server also means moving the archive.

So, the archive brings no real benefit, will ask for twice the storage you have now, and will not hold when to be used in court-cases.

nop, I still vote for EV!

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan