cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling Vault Cache for Desktop users

ph1llies05
Level 4

Hi all,

I've been reading several post about disabling VC for desktops, but still haven't found a clear answer to this request.  In my environment our users either have a desktop or a laptop and I'm able to identify the Laptop users.  In order to avoid additional network utilization, I would like to have my desktop users access archived mail via the shortcuts in their mailbox and have my Laptop users use the VC/VV.

Is it possible to configure a desktop policy (with VC enabled) and grant my Laptop users this policy and grant my desktop users a desktop policy that doesn't have VC enable?

OR

Do I need to use the registry key Ovenabled=0 for all my desktop users to disable VC.

Again, I'm able to easily identify my Laptop users from Desktop users.  I'm currently running EV 8.0 SP5, Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could just create a provisioning group that targets all your laptop users that has VC\VV enbaled in the the Desktop policy.  Then have a provisioning group for the others that has VC\VV disabled.

As long as the laptop provisioning group is ranked first you should be good to go.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You could just create a provisioning group that targets all your laptop users that has VC\VV enbaled in the the Desktop policy.  Then have a provisioning group for the others that has VC\VV disabled.

As long as the laptop provisioning group is ranked first you should be good to go.

ph1llies05
Level 4

Thanks for the quick reply.  I thought that after reading the documentation and reading other forum entries, just wanted to confirm.  I shall test this tomorrow

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

If your desktop users are in the OL cached mode, then you actually have less network traffic if you enable vault cache.  The sync is merely an update of the pointers.  EV users pre-emptive archiving to populate the vault cache (meaning that it copies the email from the OST to the vault cache locally).  With vault cache access to the archives is a local call, rather than across the network to the archive server. 

If they are not in the OL cached or mobile mode (thus creating an OST) then vault cache will not be triggered.