cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does EV archive/reject multiple journal messages with same MessageID?

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

Hello,

This was partially answered in some of the other posts, but it isn't very clear to me.  I get confused about duplicate archiving and SIS.  Getting to the question, does the second message to the same Journal mailbox with the exact same MessageID that was archived earlier (i.e., same message metadata/header/content etc.,) get archived or rejected by EV saying that it already archived this message?

We are on EV 10.0.1.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
So you will have duplicates, there's no way around that However there is a duplicate cleaner for EV you can run after the fact
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
In general terms items are hashed ... and if the hash is the same, then the items are the same... and they are SISed depending on the sharing settings on the vault store. For the journal archive there is an added mechanism which relates to waiting for additional journal reports before a journaled item is processed. Take look for 'journaldelay' - a registry key - which explains this a bit more.
Working for cloudficient.com

JesusWept3
Level 6
The item will be archived and an index entry will be created, so essentially it's a duplicate Large parts of the message like the attachment will be sis'd If this happens in the same journal mailbox, the journal reports should be combined and only one item gets archived However if it's two different journal mailboxes then two different items will be archived

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

Thanks.  I did not realize that there may be other possible scenarios to my question and it is certainly good to be aware of these.

Let me elaborate more on my specific case:

- Email 2KB (not subject to SIS) sent to Journal mailbox A on Date1 and got archived in EV

- Same email (with same MessageID, although unsure if it is going to result in same hash as I am unsure on what attributes the hash is computed on) sent to Journal Mailbox A on Date 2.

Assuming it resulted in the same hash, does the second mail get archived in EV or rejected?

The context here is that we are working on migrating EmailXtender to EV and due to an issue with the migration software, we need to remigrate some of the items that were already migrated and archived in EV back into EV and trying to figure out how EV would behave.

If you can let me know the attributes the hash gets computed, I will really appreciate it.

Thanks!

JesusWept3
Level 6
So you will have duplicates, there's no way around that However there is a duplicate cleaner for EV you can run after the fact

TheEmptyMind
Level 4

Thanks -- really helpful!

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Glad you have it sorted in your mind now.

Working for cloudficient.com