cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate Mail Items after Ingestion

psuMickey
Level 2

Hi all - another easy question I hope

Basically, migrating from Notes to Exchange and exporting Notes archives to PST files, then using EVPM to ingest that data into EV. A few users reported some missing data in EV. So we re-exported the Notes archive to PST and then reingested it for one user. 

Now that users is reporting duplicate email for all their Notes archive, since we ingested the archive twice -  effecively using a copy of the origional PST. (I later found out that anything that doesnt ingest will remain in the PST for future inspection)

Question

1. Is there any way for EV to dedup the data when ingesting using EVPM from a copy of the PST files? Or is this by design?

2. Now that I have a user with duplicate data is the EVDuplicateCleaner an option?  or do i need to delete all the data from EV and reingest?

3. Any other thoughts?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Typically most items will be Single Instanced depending on their size, what you will have though is duplicate items in your index will have the duplicates, so when the end user searches or when legal searches are done, the duplicates will come back

2. EVDuplicateCleaner is definitely an option depending on the version you are on of EV, I believe though its only for EV Exchange Mailbox archives and nothing else, so that would be an easy way

3. Another thing you could do is export the archive to PST, dlelete the users archive, delete the duplicates and then import the cleaned PST in to the new archive

But honestly, the EVDuplicateCleaner is the best way to go

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Typically most items will be Single Instanced depending on their size, what you will have though is duplicate items in your index will have the duplicates, so when the end user searches or when legal searches are done, the duplicates will come back

2. EVDuplicateCleaner is definitely an option depending on the version you are on of EV, I believe though its only for EV Exchange Mailbox archives and nothing else, so that would be an easy way

3. Another thing you could do is export the archive to PST, dlelete the users archive, delete the duplicates and then import the cleaned PST in to the new archive

But honestly, the EVDuplicateCleaner is the best way to go

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi ya,

Answers inline:

1. Is there any way for EV to dedup the data when ingesting using EVPM from a copy of the PST files? Or is this by design?

No, if you import the same PST twice EV will put two copies in the archive

2. Now that I have a user with duplicate data is the EVDuplicateCleaner an option?  or do i need to delete all the data from EV and reingest?

Might be easier to just delete the archive and re-import.  If nothing else has been added that is the route I would go.

3. Any other thoughts?

The migration process can be tedious at times.  You just need to keep good notes so you don't make the same mistake twice and keep good backups.  Don't worry, the process will get easier and smoother the more you repeat it.

Regards,