cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-Vault and Messageone EMS. Can they work together?

brwhy
Not applicable
Hi, we are currently using MessageOne EMS for E-Mail Continuity during a DR scenario. We were looking at Symantec E-Vault to handle e-mail archiving and retention. My question is can Messageone and E-Vault co-exisit in the same environment or would e-vault archiving and messageone cause conflicts?
2 REPLIES 2

GCSPT
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Purely looking at the EMS Email Continuity service side of the software it could work. I very much doubt we publsih any formal documents that say it does.

The only recorded issue appears to be related to the number of BCC recipients messageone adds to the item, which causes us to process the P1 part of the message slowly, this is resolved in EV8 as the algorithm for processing the P1 is more efficient.

From what I can see of the EMS 'how it works' 99% of the time you are using Exchange normally anyway and EMS is purely copying your exchange data to an offline storage hosted by Dell. So 99% of the time the environment will be as normal. So there should be no issue.

The question is how EMS will copy the shortcuts from exchange and will it change them in some way. So when you have an outage is your entire exchange environment replicated with intact shortcuts which allow users to retrieve their items. As I said, these solutions have been seen to work but that is not testimony to it working in your environment.

Also Dell paint a picture of this solution being effective in an huge catastrophe, on their website they have a picture of a large weather system taking out operations. If that is the case you also need to have some kind of backup system for your EV environment, which will include SQL, AD and storage. If you have these on a similar DR scenario, not sure why exchange just can't be on the same DR scenario avoiding the need for EMS.

I think the only answer would be to run it in a test environment for you specific criteria.

Simon_Butler
Level 5
Certified
MessageOne adds an extra undisclosed recipient for every real internal recipient and sender - so if you send to a large internal DL the P1 header will be double in size and EV processing can grind to a halt.  Literally hours to process 1 message

EV7 / 2007 had major issues processing these due to new functionality added to EV to resolve BCC information iteratively & the reg key "SkipEnvelopeSMTPDomain" was added to overcome - basically ignoring the address for the iterative lookup.  Note that EV can still take a long time to process a message sent to a large DL with MessageOne - up to an hour in some cases.  Not so much of an issue as long as it's only 1 message every now-and-then.  Throw a couple in during the same window & you'll get backlogs.

Haven't tested EV8 against MessageOne so can't give you any real info for that version.  If Symantec could release details of the new algorithm I can make some educated remarks.

If you need further info - let me know & I can contact directly.

Si