cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 10; Client driven .pst migration - Possible to exclude .pst files like Sharepoint?

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi,

referring to this discussion https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/client-driven-pst-migration-possible-exclude-pst-file...

Is it possible now in version 10 to address this problem? Or is it still not possible? Does anyone know?

-Sani B.-

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

At the moment it is not possible, there are few enhancement planned for future release for client driven migration which will allow the enduser to control the migration process i.e he can add or remove pst file to be migrated.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

At the moment it is not possible, there are few enhancement planned for future release for client driven migration which will allow the enduser to control the migration process i.e he can add or remove pst file to be migrated.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Great... Can't wait for the enhancements to come in play.. Thanks RahulG!

-Sani B.-

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The sharepoint pst issue was fixed in an EV8 SP3 hotfix and included in SP4 - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH75588, so it's in EV10 as well.

It just bypasses the sharepoint pst file now - and yes it does work :)

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

As John says, SharePoint PST files from synchronised document libraries will be excluded.

Working for cloudficient.com

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Have verified the Shrepoint files are getting excluded. Previously when I mentioned , "its not possible", it was for excluding a PST files which the PST importer thread finds.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Ah okay - excluding / including particular files isn't possible at this time. There are third party products that allow this, eg PST Accelerator and QUADROtech's PST FlightDeck.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

So... RahulG is right and there is nothing I can do without some third party product at the moment?

-Sani B.-

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, if you educate users to move their PSTs to a particular folder, outside of their 'document and settings' folder, then you could check the box in the PST policy to only scan 'documents and settings'.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I would have liked to do that in the first place when discussed about settings but the customer wasn't keen on that... Maybe now if sharepoint is in use largely and this is absolutely necessary...

So thank you all.

I'm going to mark RahulG's answer as solution because he pointed out first the fact that no file type sharepoint.pst can be excluded entirely...

-Sani B-

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

SharePoint PST files are excluded from migration.  You can't exlude specific PSTs names though.

Sani_B
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What do you mean Rob?

Automatically excludes or does this need some setting? At least automatically it does not exclude it, I have user whose sharepoint.pst files got migrated as empty folders along with the rest of the normal pst files because the search is set to find all from the users workstation...

-Sani B-

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, the last time I tested this is quite some time ago.  However I am fairly sure that when I set up a document library to synchronise to an Outlook PST file, from SharePoint... that the file wasn't discovered or processed by PST Migration.

I could be wrong though - or maybe the PST was created 'differently'.

In the end the Enterprise Vault code is looking for specific flags in the PST file to determine that it is a SharePoint PST file and should't be touched.