cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8 - Index on iSCSi LUN?

citizen
Level 4
I am building EV8 on a Windows 2008 x64 cluster of 2 physical boxes.
I was told that the index storage locations should not be on iSCSi LUNs is this true?
Am I OK using iSCSi LUNs or do I have another option?

Currently I configured the storage as NFS but according to Microsoft, MS clustering requires I use either fiber channel (too expensive) or iSCSi and it won't let even see the NFS storage to configure for clustering. I will keep researching but I don't know another option.

In the mean time we are quickly running out of storage......Help Help!!

Thank you!! Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Agreed as long as you have a high quality Ethernet switch there should be no issue

I would however recommend that you put the iSCSI on it's own VLAN to ensure that nothing can affect the traffice between the LUN and the server

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
 I don't see any reason why having iSCSI Luns as Index storage locations should not be used.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Agreed as long as you have a high quality Ethernet switch there should be no issue

I would however recommend that you put the iSCSI on it's own VLAN to ensure that nothing can affect the traffice between the LUN and the server

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Been doing it this way for years. Works like a charm.

citizen
Level 4
Thanks everyone!

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 If you found your solution please vote on it and also mark it as solved 

Ryujin
Level 3
Partner
Check out the EV compatibility list for authoritative details on this.

I have spoken with Symantec back end engineers about this subject as well. Symantec recommends block based storage for the indexes over file based. This can be either iSCSI SAN or FC SAN. Because of the nature of the index you really want to have it as responsive as possible. I have placed production EV indexes on CIFS. We eventually switched FC to follow our IT infrastructure standard. In both the iSCSI and CIFS scenarios the storage was NetApp, with the DFM (Data Fabric Managment) agent to give performance statistics. If you use iSCSI just make sure you have high performance switches and a dedicated VLAN.

^_^