cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 8 and EV 10 coexistence

Ralfeus
Level 4
Certified

I have EV 8 server running FSA. Now it's time to upgrade one to EV 10. Definitely it's can't be done on same server so new server with EV 10 will be deployed. The question is: is it possible to run EV 8 and EV 10 in one EV directory and just move Storage service and archiving tasks? Or I should create new directory and move archives?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Ralfeus,

You cannot run 2 versions of EV on the same directory database.

If you want to properly upgrade, you need to upgrade EV8 to EV9SP5, then EV9SP5 to EV10.

When you are on EV10, you can move that install to a new server, using the Building Block (USL)

I have little experience in moving archives for FSA, and I am not sure that is possible at all. Be advised that for upgrading FSA, you also need to upgrade the FSA agent.

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

GertjanA

Hello Ralfeus,

You cannot run 2 versions of EV on the same directory database.

If you want to properly upgrade, you need to upgrade EV8 to EV9SP5, then EV9SP5 to EV10.

When you are on EV10, you can move that install to a new server, using the Building Block (USL)

I have little experience in moving archives for FSA, and I am not sure that is possible at all. Be advised that for upgrading FSA, you also need to upgrade the FSA agent.

Regards. Gertjan

Ralfeus
Level 4
Certified

Taking into consideration EV 10 runs on x64 system and I have x32 one I see it following way:
1. Upgrade existing EV 8 to EV 9.
2. Install second server with Windows 2008 x64
3. Install EV 9 on new server
4. Modify CNAME record for old EV server to point to new one
5. Update Service Locator
6. Remove old server
7. Upgrade EV 9 on new server to EV 10

Am I right?

GertjanA

Hello Ralfeus,

sounds like a plan to me. I assume you include moving the underlying storage (indexes/archived data) to the new server also?

Regards. Gertjan

TonySterling

If it were me, I would upgrade to EV 9 on existing hardware and then use the EV SSMW to move from EV 9 to EV 10 on new 64bit hardware

Enterprise Vault Server Settings Migration wizard

Article:HOWTO42445  |  Created: 2011-02-24  |  Updated: 2013-05-15  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO42445

Ralfeus
Level 4
Certified

Storage is accessed via CIFS so there is no need to move it anywhere