cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9.0.2 - Centera questions

goatboy
Level 6

Hi

Running EV9.0.2 with Centera in Governance mode and collections enabled. We're interested in moving to Compliance plus mode.

Questions:

1. At the moment, end users are able to delete mailbox archived items. I assume this is because on the "retention" tab of the Centera partition, the retention period is set to never. If we move to Compliance mode, will users still be able to delete mailbox archived items? Can we have a Compliance mode Centera with, say, a journal partition set to "only for a Centera Compliance Plus model" and a mailbox archive partition set to "never" ?

2. If we move to Compliance mode, I understand we can never lower a retention period, but we can increase it. Is that correct?

3. What are other implications of moving from Governance to Compliance mode?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goatboy
Level 6

I did have a read of that article already, helpful but didn't answer my specific questions. Symantec did though, posting to share:

1.         At the moment, end users are able to delete mailbox archived items. I assume this is because on the "retention" tab of the Centera partition, the retention period is set to never. If we move to Compliance mode, will users still be able to delete mailbox archived items? Can we have a Compliance mode Centera with, say, a journal partition set to "only for a Centera Compliance Plus model" and a mailbox archive partition set to "never" ? will users still be able to delete mailbox archived items?

Answer- Yes because they previously had is set to never which meant that all of the items were stamped with a retention of zero. Clips can be deleted from a Compliance-Plus Centera when their retention period has expired. A Clip created with a zero retention period can be deleted at any time, and a Clip created with an infinite retention period can never be deleted. So if the item trying to be deleted from whatever method in the application has a period that is expired or set to zero then yes the deletion will be allowed.

2.         Can we have a Compliance mode Centera with, say, a journal partition set to "only for a Centera Compliance Plus model" and a mailbox archive partition set to "never" ?

Answer- Yes you can have differing settings per partition. The difference will be what retention values the clips will be stamped with on archiving. With Never they will be stamped with zero still so will be eligible for deletion straight away. With only for Centera Compliance plus they will be stamped with the retention period and so will only be eligible for deletion when that retention has passed.

3.         If we move to Compliance mode, I understand we can never lower a retention period, but we can increase it. Is that correct?

Answer- Not really sure what you mean here but if you mean that if you lower an EV retention period after it is has been archived. So , for example, an item was archived with a retention category of 2 years. We then change this in EV to one year. Expiry will attempt to expires the item but Centera will not allow it as the retention has not expired on that device and so it will produce errors. Again you have stated that the retention periods was set to never so if that has always been the case then you will all be able to delete regardless of what happens.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

check out this article titled

How Retention values for Archived items from Enterprise Vault (EV) are applied, identified and enforced in a Centera Storage Device using EMC Governance or Compliance Edition Plus Models

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH78150

i think it does a pretty good job of explaining it

goatboy
Level 6

I did have a read of that article already, helpful but didn't answer my specific questions. Symantec did though, posting to share:

1.         At the moment, end users are able to delete mailbox archived items. I assume this is because on the "retention" tab of the Centera partition, the retention period is set to never. If we move to Compliance mode, will users still be able to delete mailbox archived items? Can we have a Compliance mode Centera with, say, a journal partition set to "only for a Centera Compliance Plus model" and a mailbox archive partition set to "never" ? will users still be able to delete mailbox archived items?

Answer- Yes because they previously had is set to never which meant that all of the items were stamped with a retention of zero. Clips can be deleted from a Compliance-Plus Centera when their retention period has expired. A Clip created with a zero retention period can be deleted at any time, and a Clip created with an infinite retention period can never be deleted. So if the item trying to be deleted from whatever method in the application has a period that is expired or set to zero then yes the deletion will be allowed.

2.         Can we have a Compliance mode Centera with, say, a journal partition set to "only for a Centera Compliance Plus model" and a mailbox archive partition set to "never" ?

Answer- Yes you can have differing settings per partition. The difference will be what retention values the clips will be stamped with on archiving. With Never they will be stamped with zero still so will be eligible for deletion straight away. With only for Centera Compliance plus they will be stamped with the retention period and so will only be eligible for deletion when that retention has passed.

3.         If we move to Compliance mode, I understand we can never lower a retention period, but we can increase it. Is that correct?

Answer- Not really sure what you mean here but if you mean that if you lower an EV retention period after it is has been archived. So , for example, an item was archived with a retention category of 2 years. We then change this in EV to one year. Expiry will attempt to expires the item but Centera will not allow it as the retention has not expired on that device and so it will produce errors. Again you have stated that the retention periods was set to never so if that has always been the case then you will all be able to delete regardless of what happens.