cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV 9 , how to stub a mailbox that has already been Archived ?

trichert
Level 3

So I have a bit of a dilemna.  During my deployment my first step to be sure everything was working right without effecting end users was to archive all mailboxes without stubbing anything.

Now i'm ready to start stubbing mailboxes, I moved some users to a mailbox policy that stubs, however even after resync, reboot, waiting a day, running the archive+shortcut task does not stub the mailbox.  Its like it sees the items are already archived and moves on not realizing that the new policy says to stub/delete original.  How do I do this ? 

11 REPLIES 11

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

As far as I know.... You cannot put stubs back in the mailbox wihout restoring and rearchiving with the new policy in place.

trichert
Level 3

I have to restore everyones mailbox and re-archive ? Nonononno .. must be another way.. this should be a simple flag somewhere ?

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Take a look at the following article.  It tells how to recreate/modify shortcuts.  Beware, it is very server intensive, depending on how many shortcuts need to be repaired.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH47364

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

maxwits, the RestoreShortcutBody key requires a shortcut to be available for manipulation. In fact the last art of the TN states:

Note: This will neither recreate shortcuts that were deleted in a user mailbox nor create new shortcuts if there was an archiving policy that does not create shortcuts in the mailbox. This option is to be used only on existing shortcuts that need their content modified. In other words, if there is not a shortcut there to begin with, then this process will have NO effect.

trichert
Level 3

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

trichert,

Dont they all pretty much agree with my first post, you need to restore from vault and then allow it to rearchive?

Also look up IgnoreEVDates as that might interfere with your policy if you go down this path.

Cheers

MM

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

marvin, pretty much yes

trichert
Level 3

This is still a pain, how about this.  Can I delete the archives and then 'zap' them with

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35614

Then re-enable them ? 

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

trichert

As much as you might hate the idea, you are going to get the stuff back to exchange, zapping wont do it.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

The article you found is the only way of doing this. Once the item has been archived, and the policy used is to not leave a shortcut, then that's it.

This is why you have to be 100% sure of what is possible/not possible when implementing Enterprise Vault. I personally think that this could be a good feature, as at present we have the ability to change existing shortcuts. Have you thought about putting this "create a shortcut to an archive mailbox" as an idea in this forum?

I personally would go with the Export to Mailbox Option 3 
 - but make sure there's enough space available in the target mailbox.

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Another option is to use Virtual Vault ?

You could start creating shortcuts for the mails that are archived from now on.

The other mails you search or use virtual vault to access.