cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Archive Items stuck in pending - possibly due to password change

ricp
Level 4

Has anyone come across items stuck in pending due to user changing Windows passwords? We have one instance were a user swears that items don't get archived shortly after changing her Windows password every month and that the items just stay in pending when she tries manually archiving. It's only some items, not all. She says she closes Outlook and logs off every night so that should clear any cache. She is using Outlook 2003 and EV 8. It's prob more user error but just wanted to see if anyone else had come across this?

Cheers

13 REPLIES 13

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Have you tried a Run Now - Shortcut processing against this users mailbox?

ricp
Level 4

Thanks for quick response. I'm pretty new to EV and in at the deep end. Where abouts would I find that option?

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

The user's password would only be affected when the user is retrieving or restoring an archived item as that's what is required to access the user's acrhive. Archiving process is using the VSA account and it's archiving at the mailbox/exchange database storage level not Outlook level so EV couldn't careless what the user's password is or whether Outlook is logon on or not. Once the items are in MSMQ and at pending state (in A1 queue) then it's really down to backup.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Right click on the Archiving Task that targets the users mailbox. Click Run Now and choose the Process Shortcuts option (this is from memory)

ricp
Level 4

Sorry , should have said that it is happening when user manually archives items from Outlook.

ricp
Level 4

I had a look at the help file on that but it doesn't seem to do anything with items that are stuck in pending. It's more for managing shortcuts that have already been made ie updating their location if they've been moved or if they have been deleted etc?

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

well thats not strictly true, due to the fact that when you do archive something, the client still has to authenticate against clientaction.asp which is handled by IIS (W3WP) and AuthServer

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

My bad. You could just do a run now, archiving against the user. What are your vault stores set to backup wise? Immediate or after backup?

ricp
Level 4

Don't even think about opening another can of worms! It's installed on a EMC Centera setup. Backups aren't running and no idea if replication is working. We inherited this mess and are ironing out a lot of creases...

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

ah right, it sounds like your replication may not be working, but odd that it's only one user - would have thought it would be a number of users.

Might be better off calling Support to help you out.

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

So when a manual request is sent, the client will immediately change the item message class to ipm.note.enterprisevault.archiveme.  This uses the same icon as pendingarchive.  The question would be if the archive request is making it to the A2 queue for EV to process it.  As Jesus referenced, this is a clientaction through IIS (enterprisevault virtual directory) which would be using IWA. If it is not reaching A2, storage and backups/replication are not related.

Chris_Warren
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Also, if there is a concern if there are issues with IWA after changing their password, you can also request that they access the web app landing page (http://evservername/enterprisevault/) outside of Outlook to make sure they don't get prompted (if IWA fails, it will default to Basic authentication and prompt)

ricp
Level 4

I have noticed that the EV box is loosing connection to the SQL box from time to time and this may be causing the pending shortcuts to not change state? I'm looking into the SQL drop outs at the minute.