cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Cluster Licensing?

doctortt
Level 6
Hi, we're new to EV and have one EV server in the shop.  If I want to make my EV to a two nodes active/passive cluster, will my current license file work?  I was testing it in a lab, and it kept on saying that I needed a license with EVBase. I'm not too sure what was it.
4 REPLIES 4

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Should be fine.

I have done lots of cluster implementations now and never had a problem as long as the key is fine in the first place.

Would validate your key....

What does it say in the event logs when you failover?

doctortt
Level 6
Thanks.  I will test again in the lab.  Perhaps I did something wrong in the cluster setup.  As long as EV cluster doesn't require a different license. (As you know, each feature in EV requires a license. )

Sunny_G
Level 3
Partner
I've set up an EV installation with Microsoft Cluster and the license is not an issue as only one is active at a time anyway and it is really based on users in the organization.  I.E. you can have multiple EV servers running different tasks and split them using building blocks without having to buy lots of licenses becuase it is a performance thing and the # users and features they can use doesn't really change.

There is a cluster guide for setting up EV.  There are some things to be careful of with shared storage such as making sure the Message Queues can be accessed by the active node at any time.

But otherwise it works alright.  Some manual configuration might be required.  I would probably recommend to use shared storage on a CIFS share from a NAS/SAN disk.  This way the cluster just acts like another EV Server Node.

But in my opinion, I would rather use building blocks than clustering for EV.  You might want a clustered SQL Database!  but otherwise not so much...

MirrorSphere
Level 5
Partner Accredited
It really depends on customers SLA's.

Building Blocks = manual failiure and reliant on DNS replication times
Cluster = Automatic failover