Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV FSA and NTP QFS issues

Giacomo_Milazzo
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi all,

On a customer site I've set up both NTP QFS for quota and file blocking and EV FSA (7.5 SP5) on the same Windows 2003 File Server. Don't observe please that file blocking is available also from EV :)

There’s an issue on calculating size in folder where Symantec Enterprise Vault File System Archiving is applied using placeholder method.
It happens that NTP QFS calculates the size of files content regardless the fact that some files are EV placeholder (the real size on disk of a placeholder is few kb but the user/application see the real size).
So that on a volume containing both real and placeholder files the size is based on file contents and this causes a lot of issues on managing and applying quotas to users.
Can you please advice on some resolution, tips and tricks and so on…I was thinking about that registry key on FSA that show the placeholder size and not the "real" size...

Thanks in advance,

Regards

PS) this kind of issues it seems that were present in StorageExec too
2 REPLIES 2

Douglas_Snyder
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Giacomo,

It appears that the NTP QFS is recalling the item during it's scan and thus reporting the size of the archived items and not the placeholder size.  You can add the application to the recall exclusion list by following this procedure: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287761.htm.  Hope this helps.  Thanks!

Darren_Locke
Level 6
Employee
Please contact NTP. i believe the latest version of QFS (or a very soon to be released version) will be able to calculate the sizes either from the 'original size' or the 'size on disk' of the placeholders. You may also want to have a word with NTP about their 'OnDemand Archiving' which integrates with FSA to give quota based archiving for the file system.

Darren