Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV High Availability

Lakshmi_Narayan
Level 4
Partner
 Hi,

We have implemented Enterprise Vault 8.0 and we are looking to have a High Availability solution for the same infra.

EV Infra is as follows

·         Single Site Configuration, with Two EV servers configured to archive mails from Exchange 2007. One Archival server per DC is being deployed.

·         SQL server used is remote

·         Storage of EV data is in SAN. (Appear as Local Drives to the EV Server)

·         SAN to SAN replication is possible, if we need to disk as is to the other Date centre.

We did a check if USL based method can help us, but it says requirement is to have a Network Storage, referred by UNC path, and we have store in SAN, mapped as local disk.
Since, we are going to have SAN to SAN replication, can we use USL method to recover.

And, are there any better methods for HA, under our scenario? Any response is much appreciated.

Thanks

Narayana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Here is a technote.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/290132

How to Update Service Locations (USL) after changing server name or DNS alias for Enterprise Vault (EV)

Details:
This functionality allows an administrator to automatically configure EV services on machines according to the information stored in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database. A typical use would be to move services to a different machine after changing the DNS alias of a failed machine to point to the desired machine.
USL is now available as a menu option on the 'Computers' node in the Administration Console (Figure 1), and will run against all computers in the selected site.

When USL is selected, it will check each computer alias to see what the machine name is. If it does not match the machine name recorded in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, then the database will be updated with the correct machine name. The machine name is recorded in the ComputerNameAlternate field of the ComputerEntry table.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Narayana,

If you have replication going, and the LUN's are mounted in the DR site you would be fine using USL.

One thing I would recommend thou, if you do not currently have it set up is using different drive letters on your current EV Servers. This gives you the flexibility of failing two servers onto one in the remote site, reducing cost.  E.G.:

EV1
Indexes = D:
Vault Stores = F:

EV2
Indexes = E:
Vault Stores = G:

DR Server:
D:\Indexs_EV1
E:\Indexs_EV2
F:\VS_EV1
G:\VS_EV2

I would also consider using the DR in Read Only mode, dependent on your requirements. This reduces the failback processes, replicating data back once your production site comes back up.

There are loads of ways you can accomplish what you want, but they will also all be tailored to your requirements.

You could use VCS, MSCS, boot from SAN, Hot Standbys, Cold Standbys and all have advantages, disadvantages. It all comes down to your requirements really.

Personally, for your size I thinks USL would be the most costly efficient route for you to take.

Lakshmi_Narayan
Level 4
Partner
 Thanks Wayne for the response.

I am trying to understand how the USL work. All the documentation says that, we just need to enter the Service account password, after selecting that option.. No mention of rest of the steps..

I am not sure after that what, not quite sure whether USL detects from where you run the command and build the services, based on that?

I am planning to have a one Stand by server for each archival server in DR site. and to have volumes replicated.

Thanks
Narayana

TonySterling
Here is a technote.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/290132

How to Update Service Locations (USL) after changing server name or DNS alias for Enterprise Vault (EV)

Details:
This functionality allows an administrator to automatically configure EV services on machines according to the information stored in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database. A typical use would be to move services to a different machine after changing the DNS alias of a failed machine to point to the desired machine.
USL is now available as a menu option on the 'Computers' node in the Administration Console (Figure 1), and will run against all computers in the selected site.

When USL is selected, it will check each computer alias to see what the machine name is. If it does not match the machine name recorded in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, then the database will be updated with the correct machine name. The machine name is recorded in the ComputerNameAlternate field of the ComputerEntry table.

Lakshmi_Narayan
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for the response.

This clarified USL better.

Can i understand that, USL will do a look up of all DNS records(Which are part of EV Directory), to where its being forwarded to. If DNS resolve matches to a different machine than the original one, it will configure services.

Is that right?

And other questioni i have is, can USL repair remote machines? and from where is it recomended to run..local or any working EV server?

Thanks
Narayana

TonySterling
I think you have it.

Yes, when you invoke USL it does the machine name comparison for all the EV servers in the site.  You can run it from any EV server.  

Lakshmi_Narayan
Level 4
Partner
Thanks for the clarifications.

We need HA solution for SMTP archival solution as well, will create a new thread for that.

thanks
Narayana