cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Journalling not keeping up...

cmew
Level 2

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the EV Product, however we've rolled this out to a customer and enabled it for Journalling.  The problem is, it doesn't seem to be able to keep up.  Items are being created in the Journal Mailbox at the rate of knots, I can see that the items are being converted to 'PendingArchive Part' , then every now and again there are 1000 items that are 'PendingArchive'.

Although it looks like it's archiving, it doesn't seem to be doing it quick enough.

This causes an issue where by, the Journal Mailbox is growing too quickly and eDiscovery isn't working as the customer is forever waiting for items to be Archived.

Does anyone have any ideas at how I can get on top of this?

Thanks

Craig

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

that is not the ' normal ' safety copy setting for journal archives.

have a look at the other options..

But first to clear down the mailbox you'll need to put the vault store in to backup mode, back it up (which will reset the archive bit) then take it out of backup mode. that will clear down those items.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
What you are seeing sounds like the normal behaviour to me. What version of Exchange? And EV? How many items did your design say would pass through the journal mailbox per day? How many items are staying in the journal mailbox over the period of say 10-15 minutes, an hour, half a day? The behaviour is normally that items are made partpending, then a five minute (default) timer starts to make sure no other copies of the journal report arrive, before item goes pending archive, then fully archived. What is the safety copy setting on your vault store? How many users are there? Lots of variables you see :)

cmew
Level 2

Hi Rob,

OK here goes :)

Exchange 2010 with EV 10.2, I'm not sure on the design as it was designed and implemented by someone that subsequently left a week after it going live.  The journal mailbox currently has 5870211 items!

The safety copy setting is 'remove after backup'. Again, I'm fairly new to this but I'm guessing that would be after the Journal Mailbox or database that it resides on has been backed up.

There are 6000 users in the environment

Thanks

Craig

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

that is not the ' normal ' safety copy setting for journal archives.

have a look at the other options..

But first to clear down the mailbox you'll need to put the vault store in to backup mode, back it up (which will reset the archive bit) then take it out of backup mode. that will clear down those items.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello! First, you need to define a new Journal Mailbox, and make a new Journal Rule to archive that one. Switch Journaling in Exchange to use the new Journal Mailbox. If you do not do this, your old Journal Mailbox will almost never get processed completely. due to the enormous amount of backlog, it will take days, if not weeks before it is processed by EV. To make sure your backlog does not increase, use new Journal Mailbox. Make sure to set it to either ' immediately after archiving'. or to after backup, immediate for Journaling. From the sounds of your email, your customer had journaling on WITHOUT EV, and now needs to perform a E-discovery quick. That is not how it works.... YOu will have to wait for EV to process the old mailbox. Regards.
Regards. Gertjan