cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV Retentions

KG
Level 3
A couple retention questions for the experts. Thanks for your time and help!

Is it possible to put a six month retention period on any document that is received?

Delete SPAM the same day that it arrives?

'Sent' and 'Deleted' messages would be set to have a 60 days retention.

'Qualified' mail users would be allowed to have an mail folder for groups such as 12, 24, and 36 months. If this user felt that a longer retention periods was required, they would be allowed to move their email into one of these folders or a sub-folder for extended retention.

Is it possible to achieve this with EV? Would EVPM be required?
6 REPLIES 6

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Kman,
So the real question you should be asking is: Does EV support intelligent filtering?

The answer here is no. Version 7.0 (due by the end of the year hopefully) will incorporate a lot of this, but it's not here today.

So here's what you do in the meantime, and yes, you'll need EVPM to help you out here. The strategy here is to figure out how many different categories of retention you need to have, and then to give each retention category an easy to understand folder name under the inbox of every user's mailbox. You'll have to depend on each user to push the email in to the right folder (which depending on your users should be easy/hard).

Create an EVPM script that creates a folder, and assigns an override retention category to the folder. You only need to run it once on every enabled mailbox.

As far as spam and stuff, don't worry about it. Users usually delete it within 10 days, and outlook and hopefully your exchange server is already filtering that stuff.

micah

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Delete SPAM the same day that it arrives?

Depends what happens to it. If it's going to a particular folder e.g. Junk Mail or some type of Quarantine folder then yes.

Jason_Szeto
Level 6
I believe you can do this with EVPM, just create different folders with all the different retentions needed.

I would have a 6 month default retention on the root of the mailbox. Then have different folders for each different retention needed. As for deleting SPAM EV isn't intelligent enough to do content filtering on that level. So it would be up to your user to delete SPAM or move the SPAM into a folder that either doesn't get archived or has only a 1 day retention.

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Guys,
EV isn't supposed to archive email as it comes in. I've worked a 1day archival policy, and it's nothing but heartache and pain.
Really, stop worryin' about spam. Let the spam catchers, exchange, and users worry about it. There's no real reason to worry about it unless you're doing Journalling, and even then the best answer to this problem is still a stronger offensive perimeter line.
The reality of the situation is that sure, you'll get some spam in your archive. Users sometimes keep the funniest things. Good news is that it'll be SIS'd and won't impact you to where you'd notice it.

micah

KG
Level 3
Thanks for the advice guys! Very helpfull information.

With EVPM do you need to set this on a per OU basis? So do I need to have my Active Directory OUs per department if I want to do retentions per group? Or is it better to customize retentions on the entire Excahnge store?

Micah_Wyenn_2
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You should define the retention categories for the entire enterprise, then apply them via policy to your specific ou's, users, folders, or what not.

micah