Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV SQL migration

GTK
Level 6

hi

can someone clarify please.

The KB here - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35744#Step_3  - shows how to move EV SQL DBs from one SQL server to another and it is straight forward.

However.. when you initially configure EV SQL permissions and dont give the VSA sa rights, you have to permisison a number of tables in the msdb. There is no mention of the msdb in the above KB (i am no SQL DBA so apologies if I am missing something obvious). So how are the msdb table permissions copied over to the new SQL server?

Again.. apologies if I am missing something obvious

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Most enviroments I work with the VSA is a member of the SA group so I haven't had to deal with adding the permissions.

I would recommend you either try it in your own lab or contact Symantec support to see if it is an oversite on the technote.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Have your VSA got DB Creator rights?

If so, that should be enough, I believe.  I've nevvvver had to do mess with permissions on tables in msdb

Working for cloudficient.com

GTK
Level 6

hi Rob

yes the VSA has DB creator rights.

Based on you comments i am wondering why the installation guide states the following:

You must add the Vault Service account to the msdb system database, grant the required permissions to the account, and assign the database role

SQLAgentUserRole to the account.

Add the following msdb tables to the list of securables, and then grant Select permission for them to the Vault Service account:

■ sysjobs

■ sysjobschedules

■ sysjobservers

■ sysjobsteps

GertjanA

Hello GTK,

If you read carefully (and yes, it is confusing) it states:

Unless you assign the SQL system administrator (sysadmin) role to the Vault Service account, you must perform the following additional steps before you run the Enterprise Vault Configuration wizard for the first time:

So, if you made the VSA sa, you do not need to do this.

If you are on EV10SP3 or later, you can limit VSA, and use the SQL Roles for EV. This is described in document http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO80670

Hope this helps.

GJ

Regards. Gertjan

GTK
Level 6

hi GertjanA

yes i was aware of that..

my original question still stands though.. there is no mention of the "msdb" when moving EV databases.. So.. on the new SQL server what happens to the "msdb" permissions  and how are they copied over to the new SQL server?

thanks

GTK
Level 6

Guys

anyone in the EV community able to answer my question? surely someone must know?

thanks

TonySterling

Most enviroments I work with the VSA is a member of the SA group so I haven't had to deal with adding the permissions.

I would recommend you either try it in your own lab or contact Symantec support to see if it is an oversite on the technote.