cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV client who can not archive about 50% of his older emails.

MWallen
Level 3
Hello,

I am working on a clients system who is having trouble archiving some of his older emails.  He gets an error message  "An error occured when processing the selected item."

Environment:  EV2007 sp5 on win2003 standard server.  So far I could only find this issue on one client.  I already tried resetevclient.exe.  I rebuilt his offline vault index. 

I checked the emails.  Some have attachments some do not.  Most are very old 2006 and older.  Yet some in the same folder and same age archive just fine.  

One note:  He has been trying to manually move old PST messages into his inbox before archiving the data.  I am guessing this might have somthing to do with this issue.  He would move a folder from his PST to his inbox before trying to archive.  Automatic archiving does not work either for these messages.  Since he is moving large amounts of messages manually into his inbox he is constantly coming up to his exchange quota limit and having to do a piece at a time.    I did verigy that when I remoted into his system to see the issue his exchange mailbox was not full at the time. 

I have let him know that a PST migration project is in the works and I will be automating the ingestion very soon, but he did not want to wait (mainly due to his need to clean up the structure of the pst files and place them where he wants them as he brings the messages into his exchange mailbox.

If anyone has any ideas to troubleshoot further it would be great.  I did log a symantec case, but I figured I would try here while waiting for a response.

I did get a client trace, but did not see anything that jumped out at me as a possible cause.  I am not an expert reviewing the trace logs yet though.

Whats strange is it is hit or miss.  In a folder some emails can be archive, yet others fail.  I can not see any pattern as to why (age, attachments, size) no trends as to which ones will archive and which wont. 

I was thinking of reindexing his ev store, but do not know if that would help for his issue or not.

Thanks

Michael

1 REPLY 1

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Please post the client trace, and we can assist with reviewing it.
Working for cloudficient.com