cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV - is it possible to change the date when an email was journaled prior to the archiving process

goatboy
Level 6

Hi

Environment is 9.0.2

We need to re-export some old messages from our IM capturing system (this system emails the Exchange journal mailbox, which gets archived by EV).

However, I want the received date of the messages to be 3 months ago which is an accurate representation of when the IM chat took place, so when the email gets archived by EV and then searched for in DA, it will appear to be 3 months old instead of brand new.

Is it possible to do this? I was thinking of getting all of the messages into a new journal mailbox, then having some process (e.g. script) which will modify the received date of the messages, then turning on archiving of that new mailbox.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, I tested it.

I used Outlook Spy to change the PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME attribute:

2013-05-14_16h48_20.png

The first of those message is regular Exchange journal item, with envelope journaling enabled. The second message is a random mail.  It's that one which I backed the date/time on. After the journal archiving task got the mail, here it is in the archive:

2013-05-14_17h05_14_0.png

So .. it seems to work.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

You can do this via script/code... but it's not possible to do it with just EV.

goatboy
Level 6

Ok fine, but is the above process sound? i.e. get the items into the journal mailbox with archiving turned off, change the dates via OutlookSpy or something, then archive? thanks

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I could be wrong but i'm pretty sure when i looked in to this that Create Dates, modified dates, submit dates are purely read only, and i think Outlook Spy won't change them either, you'd have to hex edit the items

You wouldn't be able to change this either in the SQL Database because the SSID uses archived date and sent/received date, so changing that would break it, and it wouldn't update the indexes either

If the items already exist in an archive, when you export the items out to a PST file, it will have sent/received dates of that particular date and time, if you were to re-import the items it will take across those same sent/received dates, it will be the modified date on the item and the archived date going back in to EV that will be updated

The Archived Date won't have a bearing on how DA searches for items.
So for instance if i have a journal that has say items from 01/01/2011
If i export that to PST, it will still have a Sent/Received date of 01/01/2011

If i import it back in to EV or push it back in to a journal mailbox and let EV Archive it, it will have a sent received date of 01/01/2011 BUT the archived date will be today, 05/13/2013

This would just mess up Storage Expiry, so if i wanted to expire anything after 3 years, although to begin with it would have expired on 01/01/2014, now it will expire on 05/13/2017 (based on archived date and not modified date)

Another alternative you have, assuming there are no legal holds and you are going from EV to EV is to run Move Archive that will keep all the metadata (Archived date, sent/received date) etc the exact same, but it will move everything in that archive, not just particular items....

Transvault and other migration products also have the same functionality

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

goatboy
Level 6

Thanks JW, none of these items have been archived yet, so there is no importing/exporting going on, nor is this migrated data. This is email data that we did not journal originally, that I need to journal, but I want to change the dates. I'll have a play with editing the dates in the journal mailbox before the items gets archived and report back.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well, I tested it.

I used Outlook Spy to change the PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME attribute:

2013-05-14_16h48_20.png

The first of those message is regular Exchange journal item, with envelope journaling enabled. The second message is a random mail.  It's that one which I backed the date/time on. After the journal archiving task got the mail, here it is in the archive:

2013-05-14_17h05_14_0.png

So .. it seems to work.

JesusWept3
Level 6

OK so hang on, what format are they in at the moment?
i take it that they have no sent/received dates, or when you tested putting them in to the journal it put a sent/received date of today on it right?

goatboy
Level 6

Thanks Rob, you beat me to the punch!

JW, the items currently don't exist, they will be regular emails once they are exported (emailed as SMTP emails) out of our IM capturing tool (Vantage). When they arrive in the journal mailbox, I want to change their received date so when they get archived, they appear to be received 3 months ago.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Have you actually tested it though to see if this will even be an issue?

goatboy
Level 6

I'm pretty sure I've seen this behaviour when previously exporting old stuff out of Vantage - the sent date is correct (the date of the IM conversation) but the received date is when the item is received into the journal mailbox, and believe DA uses that date. Will run some tests and posts back.

goatboy
Level 6

I've confirmed this is the case. I exported an old IM from Vantage.

The IM conversation date was Sun 4/14/2013

Sent date on the email sent by Vantage was Sun 4/14/2013

Received date was Wed, 8 May 2013 (when the email was journaled and archived by EV)

Doing a search in EV via web search and DA, the date shows Wed, 8 May 2013

So I do need to proceed with this and change the received date on the old items I plan on exporting from Vantage.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Are you intending the change the data that I suggested?

goatboy
Level 6

Yes, I have just tested in my environment using OutlookSpy with the same results, looks good. Going to write a script to bulk modify the PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TIME attribute on messages that I will reexport from Vantage. Good result.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Okay - great.

goatboy
Level 6

One of the handy scripting guys here came up with this, hope it helps someone:

set Session = CreateObject("Redemption.RDOSession")

Session.MAPIOBJECT = Application.Session.MAPIOBJECT

set Msg = Session.GetFolderFromPath("Inbox")

for each item in Msg.items

item.ReceivedTime = "2/12/2013 12:00 AM"

item.Save

next

JesusWept3
Level 6
Rather than changing it all to a generic date, your best bet would be to read the sent date and set that as the received date for more accuracy?

goatboy
Level 6

That's a great idea, you're right. In this case, all the messages are from the same date so not really an issue, but here 'tis:

set Session = CreateObject("Redemption.RDOSession")

Session.MAPIOBJECT = Application.Session.MAPIOBJECT

set Msg = Session.GetFolderFromPath("Inbox")

for each item in Msg.items

item.ReceivedTime = Item.senton

item.Save

next