cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV retention and litigation holds

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thank you in advance for any insight. Our environment is Exchange 2007/2010 with EV 904.

When we have a message in a managed folder (EV managed folder in the Exchange mailbox, originally created using EVPM. Same managed folder exists in user's Personal Vault) with a 7 year retention AND it is set for a litigation hold using a case in Discovery Accelerator…

At 7 years, will the message be removed from the users view on the vault and retained only for access using Discovery Accelerator?

Or

At 7 years, will the message be retained in the users view because the litigation hold is set and will remain there until the litigation hold is removed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unless something has recently change, the item will not be deleted or hidden from the users view until the litigation hold is lifted.

I believe it has been suggested in the past to change this so the user thinks its gone and also allow a user to think he has deleted the item but right now it can't be done.

HTH,

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Unless something has recently change, the item will not be deleted or hidden from the users view until the litigation hold is lifted.

I believe it has been suggested in the past to change this so the user thinks its gone and also allow a user to think he has deleted the item but right now it can't be done.

HTH,

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yeah i was the one that made the suggestion to be able to "hide" the item so it appears to have been deleted so the user doesn't know about their legal holds, like Exchange does...but it was shot down pretty quickly

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/ideas/allow-users-delete-items-legal-hold

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

NaturesRevenge
Level 5

Thanks to both of you for your responses. JW3, that is quite the thread, and absolutely applicable to our scenario!