cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV site to site move - shortcuts to old site

EVMan
Level 4

Hi

We have 2 EV9 sites in the same domain - one targets exchange 2003 and the other is a new EV9 site which targets ex2010. We have only be asked to move the last years' worth of users archives with them to the new site - we have a 7year retention policy currently. So rather than use the troublesome move archive tool, we'll simply use the export wizard to move 1 years worth of archived items back into the mailbox. Then move the mailbox in exchange to the new exchange2010.

This will be fine but once the users mailbox is on the other side they will have at max 6 years worth of shorcuts pointing back at the old EV9 site. They won't be able to get their old archive as they will now pickup the new EV9 sites' archiving policy and have a shiny new archive. My question is can you set in the new EV9 site (or will it do it automatically?) to delete orphaned shortcuts / shortcuts to an evserver not in its site?

thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You will need to make sure "Delete Ophaned Shortcut" items is unchecked, in the new enviroment. Personally I would Delete Ophaned Shortcuts in the old enviroment, so when you move the mailbox it will not have any orphaned shortcuts from the old enviroment.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

James,

You have two options here.

1. You can delete orphaned shortcuts in the new site - So the answer is Yes
  2. You can also move the user, and he can still access archived items in the old site as well as in the new site by setting the WebApp URL

Accessing shortcuts from another environment

Navigate to the mailbox policy settings for the webapp url as follows:

1. Expand 'Console Root' > Enterprise Vault > Directory on 'Servername' > Site name > Polices > Exchange > Mailbox
2. Double click on the exchange mailbox policy relevant to the users experiencing this issue
3. Select the 'Advanced' tab
4. Change the drop-down to Outlook/Desktop (depending on version)
5. Add an entry to 'Web Application URL' as follows:

Vaultserver1
[VaultSite2] = http:// Vaultserver2.evdomain.com/enterprisevault
Vaultserver2
[VaultSite1] = http:// Vaultserver1.evdomain.com/enterprisevault

where VaultSite is the name of the remote Enterprise Vault site, and the URL is the webapp url that you would normally use to access this vault site.

EVMan
Level 4

Hi

I never knew that option was there thankyou! This will maybe give us the option not to move anything at all as you suggest just add these urls in.

Just noticed i haven't got anything in here specified currently - should I have? And i take it you set this on the new site for shortcuts pointing at the old site to work? So on the policy on the new EV site are you saying i need urls for both sites or just the old site?

thanks again

James

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

James,

By default you should not have anything set. This would only need to be done on the new site so the hidden message contains the old servers details. When teh user double clicks on an old shortcut, it will then know that it belongs to the old site so it will fetch it from there.

EVMan
Level 4

Ok thats fine. On elast question and i'll mark this post as a solution :-

If i go for this option in putting the url in to the old site, must i keep the 'delete orphaned shortcuts' unticked else it will remove the old EV shortcuts present in the users' mailbox?

Or is it clever enough juts to take care of the archived items releavnt to the new EV site for the 'delet orphaned shortcuts' option?

thanks

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

You will need to make sure "Delete Ophaned Shortcut" items is unchecked, in the new enviroment. Personally I would Delete Ophaned Shortcuts in the old enviroment, so when you move the mailbox it will not have any orphaned shortcuts from the old enviroment.

EVMan
Level 4

Ok understood. And last question...

Once an email item gets sent to the new archive - this won't effect the old shortcuts in the mailbox pointing the old ev site?

i.e. say we had a retention policy of 3months mail items would go into the new archive; and it wouldn't effect old shortcuts even if they had been in his mailbox for 3months?

The only issue with this i suppose is that those old shortcuts would never be cleaned up over time as they belong to another ev server? Or would they?

EVMan
Level 4

Or once we want users to no longer see the old shortcuts pointing to the old server (ie in 3 years time) we'd simply turn on delete orphaned shortcuts on the new evsite? Would this go through and remove them?

many thanks

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

correct