cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV11 and EV12 / lab / co-exist?

Rem_y
Level 4

Hello, I have just finished an EV11 in my lab and was wondering if I could add an EV12 and have it target the same Exchange - 2016? I'd setup up seperate mailboxes/databases for it to target. I was just wondering whether fundamentally if this was possible?

5 REPLIES 5

EVAdmin2016
Level 4

Yes as long as your EV12 is on a separate EV directory etc. I don't see why you can't target the same exchange servers.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

To clarify a bit, you can not add an EV 12 server to an EV 11 site.  You would need to set up a stand alone EV 12 site with its own SQL dbs, etc...

EVAdmin2016
Level 4

What I meant by "as long as your EV12 is on a separate EV directory etc." means you need new EV SQL Directory DB etc. (you can use your existing EV SQL server to create a new instance or you can use a new SQL server separately depending on if you lab can cope with adding new servers). Sorry, I should have been clearer with that part.

Tony, I don't believe you can run two EV sites with different EV versions using a single EV directory? Not since I last tried anyway because of the different EV versions and different schemas etc.

Rem_y
Level 4

Thanks for the replies, all. My plan is to install EV12 as an Installation On First Server In a New Site on a 2012 r2 that will also have SQL installed on it (distinct SQL from what EV11 uses). I just wanted to be sure I could use the same domain and Exchange target without EV11 and 12 clashing somehow. I intend on creating a seperate Exchange database for the system mailboxes and archive enabled mailboxes EV12 will target, further seperating what EV11 is archiving

It sounds like this will work ok. Thanks for the input

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That sounds like a plan!  Good luck!