cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scripting the maiilbox archive task for a specific mailbox

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a site with approx 2000 mailboxes which are archived daily on a task schedule.  However I have a requirement whereby a specific mailbox needs to be archived at much more frequent intervals - say every 30 minutes.

How can I accomplish this ?  The mailbox in question is provisioned and has a specific mailbox and desktop policy associated with it.

Can I use a PowerShell script to initiate the archiving of the specific mailbox ?

Thanks,

AJ

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

the archiving task schedule is per task, not per mailbox, so i cant think of how you would do this without impacting all the other mailboxes on the Exchange server.

if this requirement is for ediscovery purposes then you might want to consider journaling instead.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I need to be able to initiate a RUN NOW selecting a specific mailbox.  This is perfectly feasible through the VAC, but I need to automate it.  

The requirement is to move a copy of automated emailing more frequently than daily - as per the regular mailboxes. We already have Journal Archiving configured and working - and this is not an eDiscovery issue.

Thanks,

AJ

EVAdmin2016
Level 4

That requirement is not possible as far as I know from what you are describing, as AndrewB said, the task is for an exchange server and not for an individual mailbox. What you can do is have a dedictated exchange server hosting just a database with this mailbox on it and have the Exchange Mailbox Archiving task run every hour on/off or have it run 24/7. When you say "The requirement is to move a copy of automated emailing more frequently than daily" assuming you would have the EV shortcuts removed once the emails are archived from this mailbox to keep it clean?

Alternatively log an enhancement request directly with Tech Support.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

even if it's not for ediscovery, you can journal the mailbox and use an exchange policy if you need to keep the size down

EVAdmin2016
Level 4

Another way, if you think it's feasible enough is to use AutoBot...Install EVAC on a separate machine (dedicated, doesn't have to be a server) and RBA a user with the appropriate EV permissions or you can use the EV service account, then record the actions of what you want to do, i.e. right lcik on the task, do a run now, chose the correct mailbox etc. etc. and replay the actions every 30 minutes or an hour. This is also known as an AutoBot action...you need to search for an auto clicker software has has the ability to record and replay the actions. There are some free one you can use but most will have a small fee.

Just an idea that may or may not suit your requirement.