cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV6.0 SP3 ->SP4 BAD Status (-1) From Do( SELFREGISTratION)

Glenn_Cribb
Level 3
Partner
Not sure what's up, I stopped all the Enterprise Vault Services plus IIS Admin and started to install SP4. At 85% the message of Internal Error has occured

The following files could not be registered:
c:\program Files\Enterprise Vault\ArchServer.dll
c:\program Files\Enterprise Vault\RestServer.dll
c:\program Files\Enterprise Vault\ExchangeSync.dll
c:\program Files\Enterprise Vault\EvSelectiveJournal.dll
c:\program Files\Enterprise Vault\EvCabinet.dll
c:\program Files\Enterprise Vault\CustomRules.dll
c:\program Files\Enterprise Vault\ExchangeItemU.dll

It may be possible to derive further information by:

For DLLs lsited above run RegSVR32

Not sure what up.. Please help

Glenn
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
We saw this some in the upgrade from 6 to 6 sp1, but I don't think it has happened much since.

Support has a workaround.Message was edited by:
Tony Sterling

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Alan_M
Level 6
Have you tried manually registering those DLLs as suggested? Does it provide any more information.

Glenn_Cribb
Level 3
Partner
i tried manually registering the DLLS while the screen with the internal error was visible. The DLLs were promptly registered but still no success. it's weird because it removes all the copied files that were in the c:\program files\enterprise Vault directory and you can't even go back.. basically I'm in Disaster recovery.

Hopefully someone may have seen this error and has a fix.

Cheers

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
We saw this some in the upgrade from 6 to 6 sp1, but I don't think it has happened much since.

Support has a workaround.Message was edited by:
Tony Sterling

Glenn_Cribb
Level 3
Partner
I was goingto call support tomorrow morning. Once I have the fix, I'll post it..

thanks

Cribby

C_H
Level 4
If you run deployment scanner against your EV server, one of the output files created is called EVComponentsonpath.txt

The contents are a list of EV files (dlls) that are located in folders that are listed in the 'PATH' system variable.

The error occurs when the installation mistakenly picks up and tries to register an one of these files rather than the new install version.

Removing the files that are listed in the EVComponentsonpath.txt have previously allowed the installation to succeed.

So you should:
1. Run deployment scanner
2. Remove/delete the files that are listed in EVComponentsonpath.txt
3. Run setup

Can you let me know if this works?

Glenn_Cribb
Level 3
Partner
Solution:

The deployment Scannet didn't discover any odd settings in EV

I spoke to Tech Support and we resolved the error

Create a Key under (VaultKey)
End Result
Hkey_current_user\software\KVS\VaultKey

Edit the Default key and change the Value to 1

Run the setup again.. the backgroup Screen will be RED!! (Really) At 85% the internal error will appear again. DO NOT Close the error window. At this point, register the DLLs that are presented in the Internal Error Dialog box. Once you register all the DLLs, click OK on the internal error dialog and the setup will continue with the installation.

Check the services make sure they are running, and open the Administrative Console.

Once inside the Console right click on the Enterprise Vault Servers and select -> Update Service Location.

After that .. check your stores searches and archive items ..

Thanks everyone that responded..

Cheers
Cribby

C_H
Level 4
What version of deployment scanner did you use? The new check only came in with v7.

As far as I know, that registry is supposed to remove a lot of the checks that setup performs when validating the installation is (a) possible and (b) advisable.

Removing the checks, I would think, would be a rather bad idea, as you can't be certain that the product has installed correctly. So you may potentially have a 'bad' install!

Glenn_Cribb
Level 3
Partner
I'm using the deployment scanner from EV60 sp4. The file EVComponentsonpath.txt was there but I was empty. The support folks from Symantec are concerned with this mentioned steps that I used, they recommend to perform the below steps, same as you stated.

Removing the files that are listed in the EVComponentsonpath.txt have previously allowed the installation to succeed.
So you should:
1. Run deployment scanner
2. Remove/delete the files that are listed in EVComponentsonpath.txt
3. Run setup

Anyway it working now..

Cribby